Article Index

Retaking your Examination

  • If you do not pass the exam, you must register and pay for a new exam.
  • To schedule for a retake exam, contact Kirkwood Community College at 319-398-4482 or 319-398-5529.
  • If you miss your appointment or arrive late and are not allowed to test, you will need to reschedule your exam. If you are unable to attend your scheduled exam due to illness or emergency, please notify the test center where you have scheduled your exam.
  • Emergency Closings: Severe weather or an emergency could require canceling scheduled exams. If this occurs, you will need to contact the test center to reschedule your exam.

How to Obtain Your License in Iowa

  • Submit your examination candidate application and appropriate fees to the Board.
  • Once you receive approval from the Board to take your exam(s), you must register for your exam with Kirkwood Community College.
  • Call for an appointment with the test center of your choice.
  • Prepare for your exam, using the content outlines in this bulletin and other materials.
  • Present your required identification at the test center and take the exam.
  • Once you pass, you will need to contact the Board office to submit a Post-Examination Licensure application.

For more information on license fees please visit Iowa Department of Public Health Licensure Fees.

Registeration for your exam

  • You may register for your examination by calling 319-398-4482 or 319-398-5529 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. (central time), Monday through Friday.

After Your Register

  • Keep receipt of payment for your records.
  • A confirmation letter will be emailed to you. If you do not receive it, please check your spam or junk folder. The confirmation email will contain contact information for test site locations. You will need to select a test site location and contact them directly to schedule a testing time.
  • Within one hour of registration, you will receive an email with the subject line: "[Exam name] (online) Class Log-in Information." If you have trouble finding this email, please check your spam/junk folder. PLEASE KEEP AND TAKE WITH YOU THE DAY OF TESTING.
  • Login credentials will be emailed only be emailed out once, on the first day you register with Kirkwood. Only you will have this information and it is your responsibility to have it at your scheduled testing appointment. If you are taking multiple exams or need multiple attempts please refer to the original email, as your login credentials will be the same each time you take a state exam. For login assistance, please contact 319-398-4482 or 319-398-5529.

Apprentice Requirements

  • To be eligible applicants must submit an application either online or via a paper application and meet the following requirements:
    • Must be at least 18 years old and a high school graduate or GED equivalent;
    • Must provide documentation of criminal convictions related to the practice of the profession, which shall include a full explanation from the applicant;
    • Pay appropriate fees;
    • Must certify applicant is working under the supervision of a licensed journeyperson or master in the applicable discipline; and
    • Must be enrolled in an applicable apprentice program which is registered with the United States Department of Labor, Office of Apprenticeship and provide the department with the United States Department of Labor sponsorship agreement information found in the indenture agreement. This includes Apprentice Identification Number, Apprenticeship Start Date, Sponsor Program Number, and Sponsor Name & Address.

Journeyperson Requirements(Plumbing, Mechanical, HVAC, Refrigeration, Sheet metal, or Hydronic systems)

  • To be eligible, file an application (online or via a paper application) and pay the appropriate licensing fee for each trade discipline you are seeking a license in. Application requirements are listed below.
    • Must be at least 18 years old.
    • Must provide documentation of any criminal convictions. Applicants with a felony conviction will be subject to review by the board to determine eligibility for licensure.
  • Must meet one of the following requirements:
    • Provide the board with evidence of having completed at least four years of practical experience as an apprentice AND proof of successfully passing the Iowa journeyperson examination for each trade discipline requested. Beginning January 1, 2010, the four years of practical experience required must be from an apprenticeship training program registered by the United States Department of Labor Office of Apprenticeship. OR
    • Provide evidence that the applicant possesses a master level license in the same discipline from another jurisdiction.
  • If you are applying for a journey license on the basis of having a master level license in another jurisdiction, you may submit the application for a journey license either online or using the application form below. If you need to sit for the examination, please see the Examination page on our website. You must first submit an Exam Approval Application, schedule and pass the test, then submit a Post-Examination Licensure Application. If you have already completed your exam, please visit the link for Post-Examination Licensure.
  • Note: All qualified Master applicants are eligible to work at all roles defined under Journeyperson duties in addition to the defined Master duties.

Master License Requirements

  • Applicants must submit a post-examination licensure application after passing the master level discipline exam(s) and pay the appropriate license fee. General eligibility requirements for a master-level license are listed below.
    • Must be at least 18 years old.
    • Must provide documentation of any criminal convictions. Applicants with a felony conviction will be subject to review by the board to determine eligibility for licensure.
    • Pass the state of Iowa Plumbing and Mechanical Systems Board master licensing examination for the applicable discipline. To be eligible to sit for the exam, you must have either 1) a master's license in another jurisdiction; or 2) a journeyperson license with two years of work experience.
    • Pay the master level licensing fee.