Page 5 of 5
Frequently Asked Questions
- Does an individual who has a journey or master HVAC/R license still have to obtain a special electricians license pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 103?
- No, HF 392 provided an exemption. Questions regarding the Special Electrical license will need to be directed to the Electrical Board at 1-866-923-1082.
- Does an individual who has a journey or master plumbing license have to obtain a special electrician license pursuant to Iowa Code Chapter 103?
- The special electrician license was specifically for the HVAC/R trade. Questions regarding the Special Electrical license or any other type of electrical license will need to be directed to the Electrical Board at 1-866-923-1082.
- Can a person perform volunteer work on an owner’s principal residence without having to obtain plumbing, HVAC, refrigeration, or hydronic license?
- Yes, although the volunteer is exempt from having to obtain a license please keep in mind that local jurisdictions may still have permit or inspection requirements. It is the homeowner and volunteer’s responsibility to contact the local jurisdiction prior to starting the work.
- Is there a 30-day grace period for all licenses that allows renewing without penalty?
- Yes, a 30 day grace period applies for any reason, including completion of CEU requirements.
- For licenses that have lapsed 31 to 60 days after the expiration of a license, a $60 late penalty will apply.
- For licenses that have lapsed 61 to 365 days after the expiration of a license, a $100.00 late penalty will apply.
- Licenses that have lapsed by more than 366 days will be required to submit current CEUs or sit for an examination.
- What should I do if I have additional questions regarding the changes?
- Please check the applicable section of our website first. You may also contact the Iowa Department of Public Health - Plumbing and Mechanical by phone toll-free at (866) 280-1521.