Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor License
The Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor License enables the licensee to:
- Plan fixed fire extinguisher systems
- Sell portable fire extinguishers
- Test non-DOT Specification and Test DOT Specification (Per DOT Requirements) fire extinguisher cylinders
- Install, certify, and service all systems below:
- All Fixed
- Residential Range Top
“Certify” means that the licensee certifies that the system meets Insurance Code Chapter 6002 requirements. “Certify” does not mean the licensee can issue a certificate or placard stating that the system meets central station requirements.
A holder of the Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) License can be a designated employee for a business wanting to receive either an Extinguisher Certificate of Registration (ECR) or an Extinguisher Branch Office Certificate of Registration.
How to Get the Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor’s License in Texas?
- Revise the Extinguisher License and Test Information document to know the scopes of work, application criteria, and exam clarifications/exemptions
- Meet the mandatory requirements and pass the corresponding extinguisher examination; for PSI© exams, please search by the trade code to find more information:
- Approved National Institute for Certification in Engineering Technologies (NICET®) Level III Test
- Extinguisher Statute & Rules (TFM01)
- Obtain a biometric background check if one is not already on SFMO's records
- Review, fulfill, and submit the Extinguisher License Application (SF026) or the Extinguisher Apprentice Permit Application (SF027), as corresponds
- Provide the name of the company where the employee will be registered
- The business must apply for an Extinguisher Certificate of Registration (SF025) if the SFMO has not licensed it yet
- Fill out the application, any extra documents or paperwork, and pay the fees all at once by submitting them to the Texas Department of Insurance (State Fire Marshal’s Office - P.O. Box 12107, Austin, Texas 78711-2107) or through the Sircon online platform
- Each application's fee expenses must be combined into a single payment to cover all costs
- Await an answer from the Office after the application for Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor has been approved
- The registered licensee will receive the Individual Licenses via email; paper licenses and pocket cards are no longer provided
- For further information, please get in touch with the State Fire Marshal Office at (512) 676-6800, or at
The NICET® Level III Test is administered by Pearson Vue© while the Extinguisher Statute & Rules (TFM01) Exam is administered by PSI©. In both cases, the candidate will need to create an account on the Test Providers platforms in order to schedule the exam in the date and hour of preference (Exam fees will apply). For further information, you can visit PSI© and NICET® websites, respectively.
Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor License Exam Prep Course
Login credentials emailed upon enrollment
Unlimited access (no time limits)
Step-by-step solutions to math problems
Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor License Exam
Below is all the information related to the trade exam, including the official reference list.
Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor Extinguisher Statute & Rules TFM01 Trade Exam
- Testing Method: Computer-based testing; closed book
- Testing Company: PSI©
- Types of Questions: True/false or multiple choice
- Time Allowed: 120 Minutes
- Number of Questions: 50
- Minimum Passing Score: 70%
- Subjects Involved:
- Extinguisher Statute & Rules
- SFMO Extinguisher Statute & Rules TFM01 Official Content Outline
Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor Book Set
This set of books includes all required references for the Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) exam. Orders placed before 2 PM are shipped the same day via UPS and a tracking number is emailed before 3 PM.
TEXAS EXTINGUISHER TYPE PL PLANNING (EPL) - BOOK SET WITHOUT TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMSSales price: $25.36
TEXAS EXTINGUISHER TYPE PL PLANNING (EPL) - BOOK SET WITH TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMSSales price: $35.36
Texas Extinguisher Type PL Planning (EPL) Contractor Exam Books
Books Not Allowed in Testing