What work can a Florida Handyman do?
A handyman is a versatile laborer who is skilled in a variety of repair, maintenance, and construction tasks.
- No Contractor license is required
- A Business License is required
- Typically, the scope of work performed by a handyman does not require a permit, but check before beginning any project. Performing unpermitted work can lead to work stoppages and fines.
Insurance and Permitting
- If an unlicensed handyman does work that falls into the scope of a licensed contractor, he or she is subject to fines and prosecution.
- Many people will only hire a handyman if they have liability and workers compensation
- While a Florida handyman doesn’t need a license to perform work, a handyman needs a business license if he is receiving compensation for work.
Florida Handyman Limitations (Varies by County)
- Repair fences
- Repair doors and windows
- Install wood or tile flooring
- Install insulation
- Install a driveway or tile walkway
- Lamp repair
- Clean swimming pools (no chemical work allowed)
- Lawn maintenance
- Basic landscaping such as planting plants (no grading)
- Build a prefabricated shed less than 250 sq feet.
- Curtain hanging
- Drain cleaning
- Drywall repair
- Fan installation
- Fireplace cleaning
- Waste removal
- Window cleaning
- Water purification
- Stain removal
What a Handyman is not permitted to do:
To perform any of the following work listed below, you are required to obtain a Florida Contractor License. When acquiring your license, you will take and pass the examinations needed. You would also completely an application with experience and financial requirements for the State Licensing Board to review.
- Work on foundations
- Work on structural walls
- Plumbing of any kind
- Electrical of any kind
- HVAC – (Heating, ventilating, and cooling)
- Asbestos abatement
- Alarm system install, repair, or maintenance
- Build a home
- Work on Masonry walls
- Work on Column erection
- Repair any Roof's
- Perform Excavation
- Perform Structural Swimming Pool work
- Work pn any fire protection systems
- Install any Fire and burglar alarms
- Install or repair any Screened Enclosures
- Install any hurricane protection devices
- Work on any Seawalls
Now there is many licenses you have the option of obtaining, it all depends on what work you perform. Below we have listed three main Florida Contractor Licenses.
- Florida General Contractor
Unlimited height and scope of work, can sub-out all mechanical and electrical trades
- Florida Building Contractor
Up to three stories (new construction), unlimited remodeling
- Florida Residential Contractor
Build and remodel houses, no commercial construction
For more information on other licenses, please visit Florida Contractor Licensing.