Washington Insulation and Acoustical Contractor License

The Insulation and Acoustical Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Install, alter, and repair insulation materials used for:
    • Nonmechanical control of heat
    • Sound
    • Moisture
  • Devices such as:
    • Supports
    • Fastening systems
    • Adhesives
    • Mastics
    • Plastics
    • Weather-stripping
    • Material used for the preparation of insulation work
  • Application and installation of materials to protect or finish insulated surfaces

How to Get the Insulation and Acoustical Contractor’s License in Washington?

  1. Establish the business type and register with the Department of Revenue:
    • Determine the business name if setting up a sole proprietor or partnership
    • Refer to the Secretary of State for information on how to incorporate the business, if starting a Limited Liability Company (LLC) or a Corporation
  2. Fill out and get a Washington Continuous Contractor Surety Bond for the required amount
  3. Purchase a general liability insurance policy for the required amount
  4. Complete an Application for Contractor Registration with notarized signatures. If unsure of how to correctly fill out the application form, the Washington Department of Labor & Industries offers help with the application and business registration to those who visit their local offices
  5. Send all the previous documents along with the registration fee to:
    Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
    Contractor Registration
    P.O. BOX 44450
    Olympia, WA 98504-4450
    It is also possible to visit a local office to deliver all the documents and fees in person
  6. Obtain a registration card from the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries after the application is processed
  7. Note that once the business has been registered, it will be listed in the Washington State Department of Labor & Industries Verify a Contractor, Tradesperson, or Business site