Florida Swimming Pool Trim Contractor's License
Florida Pool and Spa Trim contractors can legally engage in contracts which involve working on:
- Tile and coping for pools, spas, and hot tub shells
- Decorative or interactive water displays or areas that use recirculated water
- Spray nozzles
How to Get a Pool Trim Contractor's License in Florida
- Be 18 years of age.
- Pass all parts of the exam(s) (within four years of the first attempt).
If an applicant has a Bachelor's degree in building construction or a related field, as well as a 3.0 GPA or higher, the applicant is only required to take the business exam.
- Pay the fee for the Application.
- Complete the application form using the Online Services, or the Printable Application.
- Be of good moral character.
- Obtain worker's compensation and general liability coverage.
- Demonstrate financial responsibility by submitting a Credit Report:
- 660 FICO credit score or higher (applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit if below 660 - FICO derived).
- If FICO score is less than 660, the applicant must take a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
- If applicable, provide proof of satisfaction of liens, judgments, and bankruptcy discharge.
- Background check with Electronic Fingerprints.
- Obtain public liability and property damage insurance.
- Obtain workers' compensation or exemption from workers compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
- Satisfy one of the experience requirements set forth by the CILB:
- A combination of Experience and Education
- One year proved experience that applies to the category for which you are applying and a four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to 3 yrs. experience).
- No less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses, and One year of experience as a foreman.
- Two years of credits from accredited college-level courses, one year experience as a foreman, and One year experience as a worker.
- One year of experience as a foreman, one year of credits from accredited college-level courses, and two years of experience as a worker.
- Four years of experience as a foreman or worker of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- The board expects the applicant to have experience in the following areas of the Pool Trim trade:
- Military Service
Note: As part of the application applicant must submit the Fee Waiver and Military Service Verification for licensure
- One year of experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, and three years of military service.
- One year of experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, one year of experience as a foreman, and two years of military service.
- Two years of experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, and one year of military service.
- A combination of Experience and Education
- Submit the complete Pool Trim application form to:
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783
Florida Swimming Pool Trim Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Trim Practical Exams
Practical Examination for Swimming Pool Trim Specialty Contractor. The practical examination for swimming pool trim specialty contractors shall evaluate, through the use of a grading sheet which includes spaces for grading and comments by the practical examiner, in the following areas:
- 5% Prepare a “brown coat” or “parge” mix. Correct any misalignment in the swimming pool walls with a “brown coat.”
- 15% Set a vertical waterline tile job with the horizontal alignment of plus or minus 1/8 inch
- 10% Demonstrate proper installation procedures for tile and water features per manufacturer’s instructions, including step edge tile, to ensure a watertight condition and the ability to install a complete waterline with a fully bedded mud bed
- 15% Level the top of the beam(s) to plus or minus 1/8 inch
- 10% Set bullnose brick as the pool coping, including miter joints in the coping
- 5% Custom grout color
- 5% Proper cleaning of tile and coping to remove masonry stains
- 5% Understand effective methods of managing groundwater (dewatering)
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Trim Exam in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida:
- Written by Emily S.