Florida Swimming Pool Trim Contractor's License
A “Swimming Pool Trim Specialty Contractor” means a swimming pool specialty contractor whose scope of work is limited to the installation of tile and coping for pools, spas, and hot tub shells. Decorative or interactive water displays or areas that use recirculated water, including waterfalls and spray nozzles, are also included in this rule within this scope of work.
What are the Requirements to Become a Swimming Pool Trim Contractor?
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Swimming Pool Trim Contractor in the State of Florida:
Experience / Education
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proved experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Four years experience in the swimming pool trim specialty trade.
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Areas of experience that demonstrate substantial compliance with statutory experience requirements for both Pool and Spa.
Florida Swimming Pool Trim Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Trim Practical Exams
Practical Examination for Swimming Pool Trim Specialty Contractor. The practical examination for swimming pool trim specialty contractors shall evaluate, through the use of a grading sheet which includes spaces for grading and comments by the practical examiner, in the following areas:
- 5% Prepare a “brown coat” or “parge” mix. Correct any misalignment in the swimming pool walls with a “brown coat.”
- 15% Set a vertical waterline tile job with the horizontal alignment of plus or minus 1/8 inch
- 10% Demonstrate proper installation procedures for tile and water features per manufacturer’s instructions, including step edge tile, to ensure a watertight condition and the ability to install a complete waterline with a fully bedded mud bed
- 15% Level the top of the beam(s) to plus or minus 1/8 inch
- 10% Set bullnose brick as the pool coping, including miter joints in the coping
- 5% Custom grout color
- 5% Proper cleaning of tile and coping to remove masonry stains
- 5% Understand effective methods of managing groundwater (dewatering)
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Trim Exam in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: