Michigan Painting & Decorating (J) Contractor License

The Painting & Decorating (J) Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Painting and decorating
  • Wall paper and faux painting

Notice that this license does not allow you to work on any of these trades:

  • Carpentry
  • Concrete
  • Swimming Pools
  • Basement Waterproofing
  • Excavation
  • Insulation
  • Masonry
  • Roofing
  • Siding
  • Gutters
  • Screen or Storm Sash
  • Tile and Marble
  • House Wrecking

As established by the State, painters no longer require a license to perform any kind of painting-related work in Michigan.