What experience do General Contractors need in Florida?

General Contractor Experience

You must have at least one year of experience in the construction of structures at least four stories in height.

Applicants for the Certified General Contractor License must have experience in four or more of the experience areas listed below:

  • Foundation/Slabs greater than 20,000 sqft.
  • Masonry walls
  • Steel erection
  • Precast concrete structures
  • Column erection
  • Formwork for structural reinforced concrete
  • Elevated slabs

How much experience do I need?

  • Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years’ experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying
  • One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses
  • One year experience as a worker, one-year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses
  • Two years’ experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses
  • Four years’ experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman
  • Be a certified residential or building contractor holding an active current license for a minimum of 4 years

If you are a veteran and you do not fit one of the experience profiles above, you can still get a license if you meet one of the experience profiles below:

  • Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying
  • Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying
  • One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying

How do I Prove the Experience

As part of your application process, you must submit an application form which contains a sections which requires you to describe in detail every aspect of your experience, including:

  • Employer name and address
  • Dates of employment
  • Employer phone number
  • Name of qualifying agent for employer and their license number
  • Your role within the project
  • The dates of the project
  • The trade areas involved in the project
  • Project name
  • Project address
  • Your title in the project and the duties performed in it
  • You can list as many projects as it is necessary to reach your time of experience

You can view the General Contractor Application form by visiting the Florida DBPRs Website. There are several forms to choose from:

The section on experience is titled "xxxx". Please note that any information you submit to the CILB is subject to their scrutiny and review; this does not mean that every single application is subjected to an exhaustive inspection but do keep in mind you must be able back up any claims you make on your application in the event that your particular application is subjected to a more rigorous examination

What if I have not worked in the construction of highrises?

I your experience does not include any work on structures higher than three stories, you do not meet the experience requirements set forth by the State. In that case, you might want to consider a Building Contractor's License (CBC). This license only allows to build up to three stories and therefore does not require you to have experience in with taller structures.


# RE: General Contractor Experience for FloridaCarlos Alonso 2019-05-21 09:47
If I get a Building License instead of a General, can I still work on higher stories of high-rises? I don't do structural, I just remodel interiors, but I want to make sure I can for example remodel the interior of a penthouse on a 12-story building.
# Contractor Licensing ExpertsZuryn D. 2019-05-21 10:53
With a Building Contractor License you can do unlimited remodeling so you can work on any story of a high rise building as long as the services do not affect the structural members of the building. To answer your question, yes you can remodel the interior of a penthouse on a 12-story building with a Building Contractor License.
# Foreign degrees?Javico 2020-04-01 22:34
Can my degree from another country help me obtain the credits or years of experience necessary to obtain the license of general contractor or residential contractor?
# RE: Foreign degrees?Leah R. 2021-09-09 09:08
You can use a Degree from another Country to help with the experience requirements as long as you can provide the documentation when you are submitting the application. The degree must be construction-related.

Effective July 1, 2020, exam candidates who have received a baccalaureate degree in building construction from an accredited 4-year college, or a related degree as approved by board rule, and have a GPA of 3.0 or higher are exempt from having to take the trade knowledge portion of the exam. You will be required to affirm that you qualify for this exemption later in this application. You will only be required to register for the Business and Finance exam.

For more information on the General and Residential contractors license, please visit

# RE: General Contractor Experience for FloridaScott M. 2020-08-19 08:36
Is there a way around the minimum amount of experience required to become a GC? Can another GC/executive/someone qualified “sign off” on your experience so you can take the exam sooner?
# RE: General Contractor Experience for FloridaContractor Licensing Experts 2020-08-19 13:30
There isn't a way around it at all. The individual is required to meet the State's guidelines as listed.
# Business ownerRenata Cristian Langame 2021-01-19 13:14
Do I need to send a proof of W2's or 1099's from my employer to apply for my residential license as proof of experience or just a letter from them with all projects will do it?
# RE: Business ownerContractor Licensing Experts 2021-01-21 11:34
Hello Renata,
The application will require you to provide the contact information of your past employers. Now it is up to the State Board's choice to require you to provide a Letter or the W-2's.
# Experience in another countryAngie 2021-02-12 18:51
Can my experience and study be from another country?
# RE: Experience in another countryLeah R. 2021-09-09 09:12
Yes, you can have experience from another country as long as you can prove the experience on the application. The proof typically used is w-2's, paystubs, or a notarized letter from a contractor or company.
# Certified construction license for residentialRenar Seagal 2021-03-20 03:12
Hello . Im from New York . I got over 4 years in experience in construction. I want to apply for certified contractor license in florida . Renovation of residential houses (1 family) . What do i need to be qualified and what if my credit history not so good but i got funds to start the business. Thank you in advance
# RE: Certified construction license for residentialLeah R. 2021-09-09 09:15
To become a Residential Contractor in Florida, you must have 4 years of experience. One of those four years needs to be as a foreman or supervisor.

Your credit score needs to be 660 or above. If the credit score is below 660 (FICO derived) applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit. Note that Fifty percent (50%) of the bond or letter of credit requirement may be met by completion of a 14-hour financial responsibility course.

For more information on obtaining the Residential Contractor License, please visit

Add comment