Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Contractor Campus

Books & Classes for your Contractor's License

West Virginia Specialty Contractor License

The Specialty Contractor License allows you to perform specialty contracting services that:

How to Get the Specialty Contractor’s License in West Virginia?

  1. Choose the desired trade, do keep in mind that the mandatory exam(s) depend(s) on the Specialty License:
  2. Contact the West Virginia Division of Labor Contractor Licensing Board and provide the scope of work to verify the classification and test required to obtain the Specialty Contractor License; send the request to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  3. Depending on the license, schedule and take both the trade and business tests, or only the business and law exam; PSI© is the entity in charge of regulating the examination process, candidates may apply online or contact them at (855) 539-0708
  4. Register with the West Virginia Secretary of State; candidates can contact a Business Specialist at (866) 767-8683 or (304) 55​8-8000​ to determine if the entity must be enrolled; applicants may also register the business online at WV One Stop Business Portal, in-person at the office located on 13 Kanawha Blvd., W., Suite 201, Charleston, WV 25302, or by visiting one of their Business Hubs
  5. Present evidence of Workers' Compensation and Unemployment Compensation for all employees in case of being an entity
  6. Send a completed application form and affidavit; a wage bond is a guarantee issued to the Division of Labor to protect employee wages and fringe benefits; if the entity performs commercial construction work with employees, contact the Wage & Hour staff at (304) 558-7890 or by sending an email to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. to verify the wage bond status
    • Note that the State of West Virginia requires a wage bond for a contractor who did not actively engage in construction work in the State for at least one year preceding the completion date of the application/affidavit form
  7. Pay the contractor license fee by check, money order, or credit card at the Charleston City Service Center Office
  8. Expect an answer from the Division regarding the license once the process is complete