Page 2 of 4
These are the steps required by the Division of Labor to obtaining a license.
- Schedule to take exam(s) with ProV by contacting them at (866) 720-7768 or (304) 414-0190, Extension 3. The person completing the exam(s) must be an officer, member, owner, or a full-time employee. Payroll records are required as proof for a full-time employee.
- West Virginia requires every entity to obtain a Business Registration Tax Number. Contact the West Virginia State Tax Department at (304) 558-3333 or (800) 982-8297. You can find the application and instructions here.
- Contact the West Virginia Secretary of State to determine if your entity is required to obtain a Certificate of Authority. Their phone # is (304) 558-8000 They are located at 1516 Washington Street East, Suite 200 Charleston, WV 25305. You can register online at here
- Your entity is required to provide proof of Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Compensation for all employees working in West Virginia.
- Workers’ Compensation – West Virginia Insurance Commissioner’s Office at: (304) 558-6279 Extension 1202.
- Unemployment Compensation - Workforce West Virginia at: (304) 558-2451 If it is determined your entity is exempt and West Virginia coverage is not required, you must submit proof of coverage from your state.
- A contractor license application/affidavit is available here or you can call the Licensing Section at (304) 558-7890. An owner, corporate officer or managing member is required to sign page three (3) of the application/affidavit and wage bond affidavit. The contractor license fee may be paid by check, money order, or credit card in the Charleston Office. *You must have steps 1 through 6 completed prior to submitting your contractor license application/affidavit to our office for processing.*