Article Index

Licensing Process

These are the steps required by the Division of Labor to obtaining a license.

  1. Contact and provide the West Virginia Contractor Licensing Board/Division of Labor with your scope of work in order to verify the classification(s) and the exam(s) required for obtaining your contractor license. Your request can be sent to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
  2. Schedule to take exam(s) with ProV by contacting them at (866) 720-7768 or (304) 414-0190, Extension 3. The person completing the exam(s) must be an officer, member, owner, or a full-time employee. Payroll records are required as proof for a full-time employee.
  3. West Virginia requires every entity to obtain a Business Registration Tax Number. Contact the West Virginia State Tax Department at (304) 558-3333 or (800) 982-8297. You can find the application and instructions here.
  4. Contact the West Virginia Secretary of State to determine if your entity is required to obtain a Certificate of Authority. Their phone # is (304) 558-8000 They are located at 1516 Washington Street East, Suite 200 Charleston, WV 25305. You can register online at here
  5. Your entity is required to provide proof of Workers’ Compensation and Unemployment Compensation for all employees working in West Virginia.
  • Workers’ Compensation – West Virginia Insurance Commissioner’s Office at: (304) 558-6279 Extension 1202.
  • Unemployment Compensation - Workforce West Virginia at: (304) 558-2451 If it is determined your entity is exempt and West Virginia coverage is not required, you must submit proof of coverage from your state.
  1. A wage bond status affidavit is required to be submitted with your application. If your entity is performing commercial construction work with employees, contact the Division of Labor – Wage & Hour Section at (304) 558-7890 or This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. and verify your wage bond status.
  2. A contractor license application/affidavit is available here or you can call the Licensing Section at (304) 558-7890. An owner, corporate officer or managing member is required to sign page three (3) of the application/affidavit and wage bond affidavit. The contractor license fee may be paid by check, money order, or credit card in the Charleston Office.

*You must have steps 1 through 6 completed prior to submitting your contractor license application/affidavit to our office for processing.*