Washington Telecommunications Contractor License

The Telecommunications Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Installation, maintenance, and testing of:
    • Telecommunications systems
    • Equipment
    • Associated hardware
    • Pathway systems
    • Cable management systems
  • Installation of:
    • Open wiring systems of telecommunications cables
    • Surface nonmetallic raceways designated and used exclusively for telecommunications
    • Optical fiber innerduct raceway
    • Underground raceways designated and used exclusively for telecommunications and installed for additions or extensions to existing telecommunications systems not to exceed fifty feet inside the building
    • Incidental short sections of circular or surface metal raceway, not to exceed ten feet, for access or protection of telecommunications cabling and installation of cable trays and ladder racks in telecommunications service entrance rooms, spaces, or closets
    • Audio or paging systems where the amplification is integrated into the telephone system equipment
    • Audio or paging systems where:
      • The amplification is provided by equipment listed as an accessory to the telephone system equipment and requires the telephone system for the audio or paging system to function
    • Closed circuit video monitoring systems if there is no integration of line or low-voltage controls for cameras and equipment
    • Customer satellite and conventional antenna systems receiving a telecommunications service provider's signal
  • Horizontal cabling for a telecommunications outlet, necessary to interface with any of these systems outside of a telecommunications closet

Washington Telecommunications Contractors CANNOT work with:

  • Horizontal cabling used for fire protection signaling systems
  • Intrusion alarms
  • Access control systems
  • Patient monitoring systems
  • Energy management control systems
  • Industrial and automation control systems
  • HVAC/refrigeration control systems
  • Lighting control systems
  • Stand-alone amplified sound or public address systems
  • Installation or termination of premises line voltage service, feeder, or branch circuit conductors or equipment

How to Get the Telecommunication Contractor's License in Washington?

  1. Meet the license requirements:
    • A valid Unified Business Identifier (UBI) number from the Department of Revenue or the Secretary of State, along with the business name and structure
    • Have a certified, assigned electrical administrator or master electrician
    • A $4,000 telecommunication contractor's surety bond, or assignment of savings account
    • Obtain a workers' compensation account if the business is planning on hiring employees
  2. Fill out and submit the required documentation:
  3. Send all the documents and corresponding fees to:
    Washington State Department of Labor & Industries
    Electrical Program
    P.O. Box 44460
    Olympia, WA 98504-4460
  4. Expect a response from the department in regards to the license