Article Index

Contractor FAQs & Important Links

Getting a contractor's license in Virginia can be a difficult process. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us at 866-986-7978. A knowledgeable and friendly Customer Service Representative will answer any questions you might have.

  • How do I contact the Board office? Will I be able to speak directly with a Board member?
    If you have a question regarding licensing issues, renewal, application status, etc., please contact the Licensing Section at (804) 367-8511. If you have a question regarding continuing education providers, how to become a provider, or other questions relating to education, please contact the Education Section at (804) 367-2224.
  • I am licensed in Virginia, and applying for licensure in another state.The other state is requesting verification of my Virginia license. What do I need to do?
    Please complete the Certification Request Form and send it with a check made payable to the Treasurer of Virginia. Specify where you would like the certification to be mailed.
  • How do I go about filing a complaint against a contractor?
    Contact the Regulatory Programs and Compliance Section.
  • I need to renew my license, but I haven't received my renewal form. What do I need to do?
    No earlier than 60 days prior to your license expiration, send in the renewal fee, make checks payable to the Treasurer of Virginia, and include your license number on your check.
  • My renewal payment was one day late and I have always paid on time. Can you waive the late fee?
    No. The Board's regulations provide a 30-day period after the expiration date in which a license may be renewed without penalty (therefore, your payment is actually 31 days late). Staff cannot waive the fee.
  • I did not renew on time because I didn't receive my renewal card. Do I still have to pay a late fee or reinstate my license?
    Yes. Board regulations state that failure to receive the renewal notice does not relieve the licensee of the obligation to renew.
  • Does the Board office use the date of receipt or the postmark date to determine whether an application or renewal was received on time?
    The date the application or renewal was received in the agency determines whether it is on time, not the postmark date. If the renewal fee is received after the due date, you will be required to pay the reinstatement fee. If the reinstatement fee is received after the due date, you will be required to reapply for licensure, meeting all current requirements.
  • My address and/or name has changed. What do I need to do to notify the Board?
    Many Boards allow you to update your ADDRESS using Online Services, so login to your personal profile to see if this is an option for your license type. The alternative is to complete, print, sign, and submit an Address Change Form to the Board office by mail. Unless updated online, all Address Change Forms must be received by the Board in writing. When providing a post office box as the mailing address, it must be accompanied by the physical address.
  • What do the letters "A", "B", and "C" mean?
    Those letters are related to the monetary value of the projects a given contractor may engage in. Those letters are typically followed by the name of the trade (the trade determines the type of work a contractor can engage in).
  • Is there a Pre-License Education requirement in Virginia?
    Yes, there is. In order to become licensed as a Contractor (Class A, Class B, or Class C), applicants must complete eight hours of pre-license education. For Class A and Class B applicants, the pre-license education must be completed by a member of responsible management or the designated employee. For Class C applicants, a member of responsible management must complete the pre-license education. Pre-license education is required for all new contractor licenses and is a separate requirement from the Class A and Class B examinations.
    The pre-license education course is a basic business course that covers relevant regulations, statutes, and requirements that are necessary for every business owner. The course is not specific to any particular classification or specialty. A Board-approved advanced contractor class will also meet the requirements for the pre-license education course.
  • What extra education do I need to become a Residential Building Energy Analyst (RBEA)?
    Applicants for licensure as a Residential Building Energy Analyst must complete a class from an approved RBEA vocational training provider.
  • How do I sign up for remedial education?
    If you have been ordered to complete remedial education, you must attend a full-day eight-hour class in person at DPOR. These classes are free and you can sign up using the Registration Form

Important links for Virginia Contractors