Utah HVAC (S350) Contractor License

The HVAC (S350) Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • The fabrication and installation of complete warm air heating, air conditioning, and ventilating systems
  • The installation of refrigeration equipment, including:
    • Built-in refrigerators
    • Refrigerated rooms
    • Insulated refrigerated spaces
    • Other related equipment

A contractor shall hire or subcontract with an RMGA-certified licensed contractor for any gas-related work.

A contractor's scope of practice does not include electrical or plumbing trade work. A contractor may hire or subcontract with a licensed contractor for their projects.

How to Get the HVAC (S350) Contractor License in Utah?

  1. Fill out the trade application form
  2. Complete an approved 25-hour pre-licensure course from one of the following Utah-approved providers:
  3. Attain a General Liability Insurance Certificate with the minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder
  4. Register your business entity with the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
  5. Obtain a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  6. Acquire the following if the applicant has employees:
  7. Obtain the following if the applicant does not have employees:
  8. Send the corresponding documents to:
    Heber M. Wells Building
    160 East 300 South
    P.O. Box 146741
    Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
  9. Expect a response from the department in a 4 to 6-week period