- UT DOPL
- 160 E 300 S, 4th Floor
- Salt Lake City, UT 84114
- Ph: (801) 530-6628
- (866) 275-3675 toll-free in UT
Applying for your License
- This application must be submitted to the State of Utah Department of Commerce
To Apply for a License you must meet the following:
- Evidence of Meeting Exam Requirement
- Request the License Form from the DOPL Utah
- General Liability Insurance
- The minimum required coverage is $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total
- Must cover the scope of work for the licensee for the entire duration of active licensure
- DOPL’s name and address must be listed as the certificate holder: DOPL, 160 E 300 S, P.O. Box 146741, Salt Lake City, Utah 84114.
- The insurance certificate must be included with the application. It may NOT be email or faxed to the Division as it will delay your application.
DO NOT SUBMIT UNTIL YOUR ENTIRE APPLICATION IS COMPLETE YOUR APPLICATION MAY BE DENIED IF INCOMPLETE OR MISSING DOCUMENTS AND WILL REQUIRE ADDITIONAL TIME TO PROCESS YOUR APPLICATION
Utah offers a licensure pathway known as licensure by endorsement. This is often confused with reciprocity. It is the responsibility of the applicant to demonstrate that the Utah requirements have been satisfied. The requirements for licensure by endorsement are established by Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302.
- RESIDENCY REQUIREMENT:
ALL APPLICANTS FOR ENDORSEMENT MUST be a resident of the State of Utah in order to apply for licensure by endorsement
- PATHWAYS TO LICENSURE BY ENDORSEMENT:
A license may be issued to a resident who has been licensed in another state or foreign country where EITHER:
- The education, experience, and examination requirements of the state, district, or territory of the United States or the foreign country, at the time the license was issued, were substantially equal to the current requirements of Utah. If the applicant demonstrates that their prior licensure is substantially equal to the current Utah requirements, certain contractor classification tests may be waived for the qualifier and experience from that state may satisfy Utah’s experience requirements. See Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302(2)(a).
- After being licensed outside of this state, you have at least one year of experience in the state, district, or territory of the United States where the license was issued, and the resident demonstrates that they have the education, experience, and skills necessary to demonstrate competency in the occupation or profession for which licensure is sought. See Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302(2)(b).
- If you are seeking licensure by endorsement under Utah Code Ann § 58-1-302(2)(a), exams will be required. The Utah Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) may accept certain examinations as an equivalent substitute for the Utah contractor classification examinations required if the exam in the other state is substantially equivalent to the Utah contractor classification exam
For more Information please refer to the License by Endorsement for Contractors Application.
Scheduling your Exam
- To register and schedule for testing, go to: https://www.provexam.com/register.
- You may also call us toll-free at 877-228-3926
- You may test at any one of Prov’s testing centers. For a current list of Utah Testing Centers, please Contact Prov.
- The examinations cost $68 for each exam. (first time or retake)
- The results from your examination will be provided to you at the exam site.
- No. Utah does not have reciprocity. Instead, Utah allows for licensure by endorsement.
- 9980 South 300 West,
- Suite 200
- Sandy, Utah 84070
- Phone: (877) 228-3926
- Hours: 6 a.m. to 10 p.m.
More information can be found in the Frequently Asked Questions