Article Index

Application/Licensing Process

The following information can be found here.

These are the following steps that need to be taken to obtain a licemse in Utah

  • Pre-License Course.
  • General Liability Insurance Certificate
  • Registered your business entity
  • Obtained Federal EIN.
  • If you have employees, you MUST:
    Have obtained a certificate of workers' compensation insurance with DOPL as certificate holder.
    Have obtained a state withholding tax registration from the Utah State Tax Commission.
    Have obtained an unemployment registration from the Utah Department of Workforce Services.

Apply using the:


Utah does not have reciprocity. Instead, Utah allows for licensure by endorsement. However, as of May 14, 2019, no trade exam are required for any Utah contractor licenses. The Utah Contractor Business & Law exam is still required for general contractors (B100, R100, E100, and plumbing and electrical contractors). Individual electrical and plumbing licenses also still require exams. As a result, applications for endorsement for contractor licenses are moot because trade exams are not required in Utah. Please apply with the standard application.

The electrical examinations are all divided into three separate examinations for each license:

  • Code Examination consists of code questions. Some of the questions will require application of electrical theory and calculations. A passing score of at least 75% is required to pass this portion. This is an OPEN book examination.
  • Theory Examination is based on the application of basic electrical theory, calculations and general knowledge relevant to the industry. A passing score of at least 75% is required to pass this portion. This is an OPEN book examination.
  • Practical Examination is a “hands-on” practical examination. You will be tested on the practical knowledge of using conduits, switching, motors and controls, transformers, troubleshooting and general knowledge. The practical portion is a pass/fail examination. No reference materials are allowed at the test center during this examination. The Candidate must pass the Code, Theory and Practical examinations in order to become licensed.

*Master Plumber candidates do not need to take the Practical exam if they have previously passed it as a Journeyman.

**Residential Master Plumber candidates do not have to take the Residential Plumber Practical exam if the have previously passed it as a Residential Journeyman.

Effective May 14, 2019, trade exams will NOT BE REQUIRED for the B100, R100, and E100 classifications. The Utah Contractor Business and Law Exam is still required for B100, E100, and R100. Because the curriculum for the 5-hour course is still in development, the Division will accept the 25-hour course as satisfaction of the 5-hour course until October 1, 2019.