Article Index

Contractor FAQ

Below are Frequently asked questions created by the Utah Registrar of Contractors, they can also be found here.

  • What type of construction activity do I need to be licensed for?
    Refer to the Utah Construction Trades Licensing Act and Rules. If you are still not sure of the correct license classification contact DOPL. DOPL can be contacted by phone at (801) 530-6628 or (866) 275-3675 (toll free within Utah).
  • Can I get credit for previous work experience?
    Any previous paid work experience in the construction industry qualifies as experience. For a general contractors license (B100, E100, or R100), at least two years (or 4,000 hours) of paid work experience is required in the construction industry. No experience is required for a specialty contractor license. “Experience in the construction industry” is more broad in scope than the definition of “construction trades” and includes: (a) Experience in the construction industry regardless if paid as a W-2 or as an owner, and regardless of whether licensed or exempt; (b) Experience while performing construction activities in the military; (c) Experience obtained under the supervision of a construction trades instructor as a part of an educational program is qualifying experience for a contractor's license. A passing score on the NASCLA Accredited Examination for Commercial General Building Contractors shall satisfy the experience requirement. Additionally, a person holding a four-year bachelor’s degree or a two-year associate’s degree in Construction Management shall satisfy the experience requirement. A person holding a Utah professional engineer license also satisfies the experience requirement.
  • Does Utah have reciprocity with other states?
    No, Utah does not have reciprocity. Instead, Utah allows for licensure by endorsement. However, as of May 14, 2019, no trade exam are required for any Utah contractor licenses. The Utah Contractor Business & Law exam is still required for general contractors (B100, R100, E100, and plumbing and electrical contractors). Individual electrical and plumbing licenses also still require exams. As a result, applications for endorsement for contractor licenses are moot because trade exams are not required in Utah. Please apply with the standard application.
  • How do I get a contractor license?
    You must submit a completed contractor application packet, along with the required fees (listed in the application). You may obtain an application from our web site. The application packet includes fees and testing information.
  • What are the qualifier and the licensee required to do if the qualifier leaves the company?
    When a qualifier leaves a licensed contractor business, both the qualifier and the licensee are required to inform DOPL in writing, within 10 days of the last day of employment, stating that the qualifier is no longer employed by the licensee. The licensee then has 60 days, from that date, to replace the qualifier. If the written notice is not sent to DOPL within 10 days and the licensee doesn't replace the qualifier within 60 days, the license can be revoked. The license stays with the company; it does not "belong to" nor does it "go with" the qualifier.
  • Can I "loan" my license to someone else? Can I "borrow" someone else's license?
    NO. The one who "loans" their license and the one who "borrows" the license are both guilty of class A misdemeanors. The "loaner" for "aiding and abetting" and the "borrower" for contracting without a license.
  • Can I pay my employees on a 1099?
    It is illegal to pay an employee who is an unlicensed contractor on a 1099. To be legal an employer needs to withholds federal and state taxes from their employees' pay and cover them with worker's compensation and unemployment insurance. A 1099 is only appropriate when using an independently licensed contractor or a licensed subcontractor. Individuals that are paid on a 1099 without being licensed could have action taken against them for contracting without a license and the party that hired them for hiring an unlicensed contractor. How can I legally "work under" someone else's license? The only legal way to "work under" any license is as an officer or W2 employee of a licensed contractor.