Monday, December 4, 2023

Contractor Campus

Books & Classes for your Contractor's License

Utah Carpentry & Flooring (S220) Contractor License

The Carpentry & Flooring (S220) Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Construction, fabrication, installation, placing, tying, welding, or repair using materials such as:
    • Wood
    • Wood products
    • Metal
    • Aluminum
    • Metal products
    • Metal studs
    • Vinyl materials
    • Plastic
    • Rubber
    • Fiberglass
    • Polyethylene
    • Thermoplastic polymers
    • Countertops
    • Cabinets
    • Millwork
    • Garage doors
    • Doors
    • Trim
    • Tub liners
    • Wall systems
    • Partitions
    • Other wood, plastic, rubber, or metal composite
    • Any composite that is by custom and usage accepted in the building industry as carpentry for structural, non-structural, and finish purposes
  • Metal or steel structures and sheet metal, including:
    • Metal cornices
    • Marquees
    • Metal soffits
    • Flashings
    • Skylights
    • Skydomes
    • Metal structural studs and bearing walls
    • Reinforcing bars
    • Erecting shapes
    • Plates of any profile
    • Perimeter crosssections that are used in structures, including riveting, welding, and rigging
  • Incidental concrete work and footings, grading, and surface preparation related to the scope of work
  • Flooring:
    • Laminate
    • Tile
    • Cement
    • Wood
    • Synthetic wood
    • Similar flooring products, including prefinished and unfinished material
    • Sanding
    • Staining and finishing of new and existing flooring
    • The underlayment
    • Subfloors
    • Mechanical insulation of pipes, ducts, or conduits

How to Get the Carpentry & Flooring (S220) Contractor License in Utah?

  1. Fill out the trade application form
    • Apply online on My License E-Government
  2. Complete an approved 25-hour pre-licensure course from one of the following Utah-approved providers:
  3. Attain a General Liability Insurance Certificate with the minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder
  4. Register your business entity with the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
  5. Obtain a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  6. Acquire the following if the applicant has employees:
  7. Obtain the following if the applicant does not have employees:
  8. Send the corresponding documents to:
    Heber M. Wells Building
    160 East 300 South
    P.O. Box 146741
    Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
  9. Expect a response from the department in a 4 to 6-week period