Utah Boiler, Pipeline, Waste Water, and Water Conditioner (S410) Contractor License

The Utah Boiler, Pipeline, Waste Water, and Water Conditioner (S410) Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Placing and setting of screeds for pavement for flatwork
  • Construction of forms, shoring material, placing and erection of bars for reinforcing and application of plaster and other cement-related products
  • Excavation, grading, compacting, and laying of fill or other related base
  • Painting or coating the surfaces, including striping, directional, and other types of symbols or letters
  • Fabrication, construction, and installation of forms and shoring material
  • Fabrication, construction, and installation of:
    • Pipes, conduit, or cables for the conveyance and transmission from one station to another of such products as:
    • Water
    • Steam
    • Gases (except for natural gas, which requires an RMGA certificate holder to conduct the work)
    • Chemicals
    • Slurries
    • Other substances
    • Data or communications
    • Geo-thermal systems
    • Solar thermal systems (up to where the system interfaces with any other plumbing system)
  • Installation of:
    • Above and below ground storage tanks
    • Piping
    • Dispensing equipment
    • Monitoring equipment
    • Associated temperature-control or other equipment for any petroleum
    • Petro-chemical
    • Water
    • Steam
    • Chemicals
    • Slurries
    • Oil
    • Gases (except for natural gas, which requires an RMGA certificate holder to conduct the work)
    • Other substances
  • Insulation of pipes, ducts, and conduits
  • Work-related to the scope of practice:
    • Excavation
    • Cabling
    • Horizontal boring
    • Grading
    • Trenching
    • Backfilling
  • Fire-tube and water-tube power boilers and hot water heating boilers, including:
    • Fittings and piping
    • Valves
    • Gauges
    • Pumps
    • Radiators
    • Converters
    • Fuel oil tanks
    • Fuel lines
    • Chimney flues
    • Heat insulation and other devices
    • Apparatus
    • Equipment related thereto, in a system not connected to the culinary water system or connected to the culinary water system but separated from the culinary water system by a backflow prevention device
  • Water conditioning equipment and only such pipe and fittings as are necessary for connecting the water conditioning equipment to the water supply system within the premises
  • Work on sewage systems:
    • Sewer
    • Sewer lines
    • Sewage disposal
    • Septic tank
    • Drainage including excavation and grading with respect thereto
    • Construction of sewage disposal plants and appurtenances thereto
  • Incidental excavation, backfill, concrete or asphalt work related to the scope of practice
  • The installation of a backflow preventer device if, during each renewal period after initial licensure, the licensee completes at least two of their six continuing education hours
  • Shall hire or subcontract with an RMGA-certified licensed contractor for any natural gas-related work

How to Get the Boiler, Pipeline, Waste Water, and Water Conditioner (S410) Contractor License in Utah?

  1. Fill out the trade application form
    • Apply online on My License E-Government
  2. Complete an approved 25-hour pre-licensure course from one of the following Utah-approved providers:
  3. Attain a General Liability Insurance Certificate with the minimum required coverage of $100,000 for each incident and $300,000 in total and where DOPL is listed as certificate holder
  4. Register your business entity with the Division of Corporations and Commercial Code
  5. Obtain a Federal Employee Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
  6. Acquire the following if the applicant has employees:
  7. Obtain the following if the applicant does not have employees:
  8. Send the corresponding documents to:
    Heber M. Wells Building
    160 East 300 South
    P.O. Box 146741
    Salt Lake City, UT 84114-6741
  9. Expect a response from the department in a 4 to 6-week period