Friday, December 8, 2023

Contractor Campus

Books & Classes for your Contractor's License

Article Index

Texas Contractor Registration Process at a City Level

Besides the licensing process through the different State Boards, over 40 cities in Texas require a separate registration process for Contractors to authorize them to perform their job on the territory. Some jobs this city-level resolution pertains to are General, Handyman, Home Improvement, Right of Way, Roofing, and Specialty.

A sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation, or other legal entity is referred to as a General Contractor if it participates in the building, renovating, modifying, or repairing process of a facility or structure at a contracted price. The General Contractor will be in charge of overseeing the construction project on behalf of the owner in cases where there are multiple Contractors involved. Through agreements/contracts with Subcontractors, Suppliers, or Laborers, their primary responsibility is to directly or indirectly oversee the development of the building initiative and the performed improvements to the property.

A worker who handles certain materials and performs minor repairs or renovations on buildings, fixtures, and fittings is referred to as a Handyman, distinct from an Apprentice or Trainee. A Handyman engages in minor construction tasks and cannot affect any work usually performed by higher ranks within the industry.

Someone dedicated to Home Improvement sells goods and services to a retail buyer under a home improvement installment contract or sells goods and services to a retail buyer under a home improvement charge agreement but not in connection with the building of new homes. The individual may also manage or supervise reconstruction, alteration, renovation, repair, modification, improvement, removal, and demolition projects.

Right of Way refers to the area owned and controlled by the City. It typically includes the street surface, sidewalks, alleys, and grassy areas between pavement and property lines. The boundaries of the ROW will vary depending on the physical conditions at any given location. It encompasses any construction work done on, above, below, or across a right-of-way that involves installing, repairing, or keeping utility pipes, ducts, lines, poles, wires, cables, conduits, etc.

A person is referred to as a Roofing Contractor if they build, modify, repair, or are involved in the business of installing and remodeling roofs, whether these are minted for residential or for commercial use. Currently, the Texas Department of Licensing & Regulation does not administer Roofing Licensing, hence, education, insurance, licenses, nor State registrations are required. The Roofing Contractors Association of Texas (founded in 1975) is the organization that focuses on the administration, regulation, and legalization of Roofing & Waterproofing Contractors, as well as the primary entity concerning these two sectors. The RCAT Program was created to improve customer protection and to maintain public trust in the industry by enhancing the expertise and professionalism of this type of Contractors through voluntary self-regulation.

Specialty work includes those whose primary function involves using specialized building trades or crafts to conduct, as the name implies, specific construction skills and knowledge; this occupation may apply to a wide range of areas and industries depending on the options offered by the cities.

Additionally, depending on the candidate's scope, different policies and requirements about the paperwork may exist due to some cities' restrictions on the sort of work being performed and the authorization to work within the municipality.

Contractors could register online through platforms/portals or by completing and mailing the pertinent paper forms; in some cases, fees could apply. Below is the list of cities that requires the registration process with its requisites and relevant information:

List of Texas Cities that Require Separate Registration

  • Addison
    • Prior to doing any work inside Addison, all Contractors must register with the Town. A Contractor's Registration must be renewed yearly and is valid for a year from the date of issuance. Contractors must submit an application along with a copy of their Driver's License, any necessary Professional Licenses, and Evidence of Insurance
    • To have a better understanding of the process, please visit the following links:
  • Allen
    • Contractor Registrations at the individual level are neither offered nor accepted by Allen. This City specifically states on their site that the process is only applicable to businesses and as defined on their Registration Forms, which include various fields based on the company's information
    • Useful resources for applicants:
  • Amarillo
  • Arlington
    • While Arlington City has not determined a regulation for Contractor Certification, it does require all Contractors performing tasks that involve Building, Electrical, Sign Work, Irrigation, Mechanical, and Plumbing jobs to register with Texas by providing their Contractor Certifications
    • Detailed information can be found on the links below:
  • Austin
  • Bedford
  • Cockrell Hill
  • Dallas
  • Denison
    • Contractors working on Concrete, Electrical, Fire Alarm, Fire General, Fire Sprinkler, Fence, General, Irrigation, Mechanical, Plumbing, Pool, Propane, Roofing, Sign, and/or Utility jobs must register through their MyGov Portal by creating an account and uploading their documentation (including a Texas license when applicable) and payment. Denison does not have a certification program for Contractors, but it does require that they comply with certain requirements; these will be shown during the online registration once the candidate logs into their MyGov user account
    • Handy links with comprehensive info:
  • Denton
    • All Contractors must be registered with the City of Denton to perform work, this process is required every year. Expiration is one year from the registration date for Contractors who do not need a permit, such as General and Sign Contractors; as for the date written on the Contractor's Master License, it corresponds to the day it might expire. Online registration is now available through the eTRAKiT platform
    • Denton official resources:
  • Hurst
  • Irving
    • It is necessary to complete a Registration Form for Concrete, Electricity, Fence, House Relocation, Irrigation, Mechanical (HVAC), Plumbing, Signage, Fuel Tank Installation, General Contractors, and Apartment Maintenance Personnel (plumber and mechanic tasks). Registrations in plumbing, irrigation, and mechanical work demand State Master Licenses. An Electrical Registration also needs an Electrical Contractor's License issued by the State
    • Pages with additional information if intending to apply:
  • Keller
  • Killeen
    • Killeen City does not have a Licensing Program for Contractors of its own, but it does require any Contractor working in its vicinity to be registered within its database records. For Contractors related to Electrical, Fire Suppression, General Contracting, Irrigation, Mechanical, Plumbing, Sign, or Swimming Pool labor, this registration must include their Contractor Licenses provided by the State of Texas
    • State Law prohibits municipalities from charging registration fees for Plumbing, Mechanical and Electrical Contractors
    • Killeen, TX links:
  • La Marque
    • All Commercial and Residential Contractors are required to register with the City of La Marque’s Development Services Department. For the city of La Marque, applicants must already have a State License/Company License and submit a Contractor Registration form. This requirement pertains to Master Plumber, Journeyman Plumber, Irrigator (Landscape), Backflow Tester, Installer (Landscape), Fire Line Tester, General Contractor, Master Electrician, and Journeyman (HVAC)
    • It is possible for applicants to complete the form, print it and email it to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or to deliver it in person to the Development Services Department
    • La Marque City website information:
  • Lewisville
    • The City of Lewisville has made available for the public the platform MyGovernmentOnline for all permitting and inspection requests. To apply for a building permit or to register as a Contractor, applicants should create an account and submit an application. Once an application has been approved by the corresponding department, an invoice for any related fees will be emitted. All payments are made through the online platform account. After submitting a payment, an electronic copy of the permit or approval certificate will be available for immediate download
    • City of Lewisville official page links:
  • Little Elm
    • All Contractors who perform work in the jurisdiction of Little Elm have to be registered with the Town. The applicant will need to select the correct license for their trade according to the list published by the administration on the Registration Center. Those applicants who are looking for registration as General, Mechanical, Plumbing, Irrigation, or Fire Contractor work should also provide a Texas State-issued License for their trade. The Town of Little Elm has made publicly available the Contractor Registration form where the applicant will find the details related to fees and mailing
    • Useful links for Little Elm’s Contractor Registration process:
  • Mansfield
    • The Building Safety Department is dedicated to ensuring that all residential and commercial structures built, altered, or maintained in Mansfield adhere to the accepted standards for building safety and overall quality of life. The online platform MyGov must be used for all submissions of applications, plans, and payments related to construction permits and registrations. Contractors in the Electrical, Electrical Sign, Fence, General, Irrigation, Mechanical, Plumbing, Pool, Sign, and Tent industries are required to register, with a Texas State-issued License when applicable
    • Find below some useful links for the City of Mansfield:
  • Mesquite
  • Midlothian