Lee County Contractor Licenses
Construction Licenses in Lee County
Aluminum Non-Structural (Business Exam Only)
Installation of gutters, downspouts, soffit, fascia and vinyl or aluminum siding and other non structural aluminum.
Aluminum Without Concrete
Installation of screened enclosures, , preformed panel-post, beam roofs, mobile home panel roof-overs, residential glass window, door and vinyl panel window enclosures, single story self-contained aluminum utility storage structures (not to exceed 500 square feet) siding, soffit, fascia, gutters, wood work incidental to the aluminum construction work.
Cabinet and Millwork (Business Exam Only)
Installation of cabinets, millwork, corian and cultured marble style counter tops.
Construction of any wood products or metal framing in a structure, including rough framing, door, window (including metal), structural and non-structural trusses, sheathing, paneling, trim, cabinets, siding, soffit and fascia.
Concrete Coatings (Business Exam Only)
Application of all types of decorative coatings, troweled, sprayed, brushed, or rolled, to the top of existing concrete slabs. The coatings cannot exceed 3/4 inches in thickness and does not include installation of slabs.
Concrete Forming and Placing
Application of aggregates, cement and water to construct forms and framework for the casting and shaping of concrete; place and erect reinforcing steel; and pour, place and finish cement.
Concrete Placing and Finishing (Business Exam Only)
Construction of concrete flatwork, including incidental placement of mesh reinforcement, plastic vapor barriers, and edge forms; reinforcing steel is excluded.
Removal of structures limited to three stories or less. (35' max)
Construction of canals, lakes and levees; clearing land of surface debris and vegetation; grubbing of roots, removal of debris and leveling of the land surface incidental to excavation.
Fence Erection (Business Exam Only)
Installation of fencing on grade, including pre-cast concrete, and pre-fabricated fences.
Finish Carpentry (Business Exam Only)
Installation of wood products, including paneling, trim, flooring, cabinetry, doors, windows (including metal), and all incidental hardware.
Erection of horizontal and vertical type garage doors, including all hardware and operating devices, excluding electrical instalations.
Glass and Glazing
Installation of any type of glass or glass work; execute the glazing frames, panels, sashes, doors, ornamental decoration, mirrors, tub and shower enclosures, and any incidental metal framing.
Installation of storm shutters in both residential and commercial facilities, including both manually and mechanically operated shutters, excluding electrical installations.
Installation of any insulation to prevent loss or gain of heat from internal or external sources in pipes, vessels, ducts or built-up refrigerated boxes or rooms; install gridwork necessary to support ceiling panels, including luminous ceiling panels.
Installation of piping and sprinkler heads for the irrigation of lawns including incidental connections to a water pump (but not direct connection to potable water lines).
Must only perform work in the electrical trade while employed by and under the supervision of a certified electrical contractor.
Installation of plumbing fixtures or systems but must perform work under the supervision and in the employ of a state certified plumber or a locally licensed master plumber.
To lay brick and other baked clay products, rough cut and dress stone, artificial stone and precast blocks, structural brick or block, but no pouring or finishing of concrete.
Application of paint to interior and exterior surfaces; includes painting concrete, sealing river rock, sandblasting and general coating; Excludes roof applications.
Paver Block (Business Exam Only)
Erection of brick, block, paver brick or paver block for flat work only.
Construction of roads, airport runways and aprons, parking lots, driveways, sidewalks, curb and gutter, property line walls, storm drainage facilities, and incidental excavating, clearing, grading, sealing and coating.
Plastering and Stucco
Application of coat surfaces with a mixture of sand or other aggregate gypsum plaster, portland cement or quick-lime and water to create a permanent surface coating; apply any product, including placing non-structural metal stud and runners to which lath is applied, to provide key or suction bases for the support of the plaster coating.
Installation of a free standing sign structure that does not exceed 24 feet above existing grade to the top of the sign and a maximum of 40 square feet; or a sign structure that does not exceed 20 feet above existing grade which is attached to an existing structure, electrical work limited to internal wiring of signs.
Sign Non-Electrical (Business Exam Only)
Installation of non-electrical signs, not to exceed a height of 10 feet above existing grade, to the top of the sign and a maximum size of 40 square feet; or a non-electrical sign structure that does not exceed 20 feet above existing grade which is attached to an existing wall or structure.
Tile and Marble
Application and preparation of the base for and set tile and marble.
Include the following information in your message.
- First and Last Name (as it appears on the ID you would use to identify yourself at the testing center).
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Type of Certificate of Competency
- Name of Testing Company (If you have questions about whether to use GITS, Prometric, or Prov, or are unsure about the difference between them, please call Contractor Campus at 866-986-7978 or stop by our Fort Myers office at 1943 Colonial Blvd Fort Myers FL 33907).
After receipt of the your message, Lee County will send you a link to where you can make your $35 payment online using a credit card or check. To view this and other information directly on Lee County’s website please visit Lee County Contractor Licensing.
The list of Lee County Licenses and testing codes for the different testing companies can be downloaded here.
The list of Lee County Licenses, their scope of work, their experience, and testing requirements can be downloaded here.
Once you are authorized to take your exam (become sponsored) and you get a passing score, you must submit your application for the actual license before the board. Once the board has your application, they will review it at their next meeting, if you are approved, you get a license, if not, you will be advised on how to proceed.
Forms and Links
Verification of Construction Experience
List of all licenses issued by Lee County
Lee County Contact Information
Lee County Licensing Board
Physical Address: 1500 Monroe St., Fort Myers, FL 33901
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 398, Fort Myers, FL 33902
Lee County Contractor Licensing Website
Apply for a Certificate of Competency
Licenses on in Lee County are issed by the Construction Industry Licensing Board. This board is in charge of reviewing applications, and granting or denying Lee County Certificates of Competency (Contractor Licenses). The board also hears and decides complaints against contractors.
How to Apply
- Examination and Sponsorship: Apply for sponsorship with Lee County to test through one of the accepted testing companies: Gainesville Independent Testing Services, Prov or Prometric Inc.
After receipt of your message, Lee County will send you a link to where you can make your $35 payment online using a credit card or check.
- First and Last Name (this should be the name shown on your driver's license/photo ID; you will be required to show identification at the testing site)
- Mailing Address
- Phone Number
- Type of Certificate of Competency
- Name of testing company (if testing with Prometric, fill out Prometric's registration guide and attach it to your email message)
If the applicant has previously taken an exam and the applicant has actively been engaged in providing these services for at least two years prior to application, the applicant may provide Lee County with these exam results. Lee County will determine if the prior exam results are acceptable.
- Application: Submit a completed application along with all requirements to Lee County.
- Board Hearing: Attend a scheduled board hearing (currently meeting once a month). The Board must approve your application before a license can be issued.
- Insurance and Fees: After board approval, you will need to provide the required insurance documentation and submit the Certificate of Competency fee of $90. You may submit a workers' compensation exemption in lieu of workers' compensation insurance. Exemptions are applied for through the State of Florida. Their local office is located at 2295 Victoria Ave., Suite 163, Fort Myers, FL 33901; phone number 239-461-4006. Visit the State of Florida's Bureau of Compliance website for additional information.
- Issuance: You will be issued a Certificate of Competency, which will be required to be renewed yearly on Sept. 30.
1500 Monroe St., Fort Myers, FL 33901
Mailing: P.O. Box 398
Fort Myers, FL 33902
Lee County Application Forms
Please note that a certificate of compentency is a contractor's license.
Below is a brief breakdown of all sections within the application form. Brief explanations of each of those sections is given. For questions about the application, please contact Lee County directly.
Application for Lee County Certificate of Competency
The contact information for application-related question is as follows:
Lee County Contractor Licensing
P.O. Box 398, Fort Myers, Florida 33902
In this section you must attach proof that you have taken and passed the appropriate exam. Acceptable proof includes a copy of the Prometric©, Thompson Prometric©, Experior, Block & Associates©, Gainesville Independent Testing© or NAI-Block test result form, or a letter of reciprocity from another Florida jurisdiction. Lee County will accept exams taken in the past 5 years for certificates of competency currently being offered in Lee County.
In this section you must attach original notarized documents verifying that you have the necessary experience in the area covered by the certificate of competency you are seeking. This document is attached to this application for your convenience it must be completed by past or present employers licensed and actively engaged in the construction services field. However, proof of licensure by other jurisdictions, without additional experience verification, will not satisfy this requirement.
The Board can refuse to accept any statement that is: (1) not clearly an original document or (2) where the fact of the document provides evidence that the statement has been changed from its original form.
In this section you must list any current construction licenses you hold in Lee County or any other jurisdiction.
All applicants must answer the following statements. If you answer is yes to any of them, a full written explanation is required (attach extra sheets to your application if needed). If you are applying to qualify a corporation, partnership or other legal business entity, officers (president, vice president, secretary, partners or owner of proprietorship) of that entity must also provide an explanation if a yes answer to any of these questions pertain to them.
HAVE YOU (or a partnership in which you were a partner or an authorized representative, or a corporation in which you were an officer or an authorized representative) EVER (Yes or No):
- Undertaken a construction contract or work that a third party, such as a bonding or surety company, completed or made financial statements on?
- Had claims or lawsuits filed for unpaid or past due accounts by your creditors as a result of construction operations?
- Undertaken construction contracts or work which resulted in liens, suits or judgments being filed which were not satisfied without damage or harm to any 3rd party?
- Had a lien filed against you by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service or Florida tax division?
- Made an assignment of assets in settlement of construction obligations for less than the outstanding debts?
- Been charged with or convicted of acting as a contractor without a license, or if licensed as a contractor in this or any other state, had a disciplinary action against your license?
- Filed bankruptcy, personal or business, in the last five years?
- Been found guilty of any crime other than a traffic violation?
NOTE: Any applicant answering yes to one of the financial responsibility questions must provide the Board with an explanation. The explanation should be a written statement outlining the steps the applicant has taken to prevent a recurrence of the circumstances leading to the conviction, judgment, discipline, bankruptcy or other event involved. The applicant is also required to attach any applicable proof of payment, satisfaction of lien or judgment, bankruptcy discharge or agreements for payment.
Qualifying a Company
This section is broken up into two parts (A & B). If you will be operating in your individual name, complete section B only (write N/A in all blanks of section A). Otherwise, fully complete both section A and B accordingly, if a corporation the Secretary must sign.
- A: In this section a qualifier is legally appointed to act for the business organization in all matters connected with its contracting business, and was given authority to supervise construction undertaken by the business.
- B: In this section, financial responsibility is accepted by the qualifying agent. It states that the qualifying agent is personally responsible for all of the financial affairs of the business he/she is applying to qualify. This includes Afinancial matters@, both for the organization in general and for each specific job.
This section simply asks the following yes/no questions:
- Have you ever been granted a Lee County Certificate of Competency? License Number Certificate Category
- Did you voluntarily relinquish this license?
- Did you allow this license to lapse after it was placed on involuntary inactive status?
A Lee County Certificate of Competency can be placed on involuntary inactive status for (1) failure to renew the license; (2) failure to maintain liability insurance; or (3) failure to maintain workers= compensation insurance (or an exemption). (If appropriate action is not taken within 6 months of the date the license is placed on inactive status, the license lapses.)
- Was the license revoked or suspended?
If yes, attach an explanation of the steps you have taken to avoid a similar occurrence in the future and proof of compliance with any final order against you regarding this license.
- Have you ever been issued a license by a jurisdiction outside Lee County that was revoked, suspended or voluntarily relinquished?
If, yes, attach an explanation of the circumstances involved.
In this section you must verify that you carry General Liability Insurance and worker's compensation insurance (or exemption).
You do not need to send a certificate of insurance or exemption. You simply vouch for it by filling out the appropriate fields and signing.
This section asks the following yes/no question:
- Do you qualify or own a business other than the one you are applying to qualify?
If yes, please contact the Division for guidelines to qualify more than one business.
Federal Employer Identification Number
In this section you must provide your company's FEIN. If there is not legal entity created, provide your Social Security number in lieu of FEIN.
Corporations or Limited Liability Corporations
In this section you must attach a copy of the Annual Report Form filed with the Florida Secretary of State or, if your corporation or LLC is newly established, attach a copy of the Florida Certificate of Incorporation and the page listing the corporate officers. If you are not a corporate officer in the corporation you wish to qualify, an authorization resolution must be completed; the form is attached to this application for your convenience.
In this section you must attach a copy of the recorded Fictitious Name Registration and Ownership form from the Division of Corporations. (This does not apply to corporations using their registered name.) Fictitious Name Registration packets may be obtained by contacting Fictitious Name Registration, P.O. Box 1300, Tallahassee, FL 32303-1300 (850) 488-9000. If you are not a partner or owner in the company name you wish to qualify, an authorization resolution must be completed; the form is attached to this application for your convenience.
In this section, you must attach to this application a copy of your driver=s license or other official state identification that contains a photograph. A photo I.D. may be required at the hearing or prior to issuance of the competency card.
A credit report on your credit rating must be submitted as part of the application. You must supply the following credit reports: (Only credit reports no older than six (6) months and from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency will be accepted.)
- Credit report in your individual name (required by all applicants), must include a Beacon or FICA rating.
- Credit report in the company name you are applying to qualify (required if the date on the corporation or fictitious name documents is more than forty-five (45) days old. If your company is newly established, you must also submit letters from construction related suppliers indicating that an account either exists or has been opened for the entity you are applying to qualify.
- Credit report in any business you currently own or qualify or any business you owned or qualified within the past five (5) years.
Credit agencies generally require written authorization to accurately check your credit references. It is your responsibility to provide them with this authorization. Public records pertaining to judgments, bankruptcies and tax liens must be searched and results noted on the credit report. If the public records reflect unsatisfied obligations, attach a written explanation and legal documentation to the credit report or provide a copy to the Division. The credit report should also reflect officers, partners and proprietors, their Social Security numbers and the FEIN. If the credit report is not attached to the application you may have the credit agency send the credit report directly to:
Lee County Development Services
Attention: Contractor Licensing
P.O. Box 398, Fort Myers