Swimming Pool Structural
A “Swimming Pool Structural Specialty Contractor” means a swimming pool specialty contractor whose scope of work is limited to the shaping and shooting of gunite, shotcrete, concrete, or similar product mix used in the construction of swimming pools and spas. This scope of work includes the installation of fiberglass shells and vinyl liners.
What are the Requirements to Become a Swimming Pool Structural Contractor?
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Swimming Pool Structural Contractor in the State of Florida:
Experience / Education
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proved experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Four years experience in the swimming pool structural specialty trade.
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Florida Swimming Pool Structural Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Structural Specialty Contractor Practical Examination
Swimming Pool Structural Specialty Contractor. The examination for swimming pool structural specialty contractors shall evaluate the following areas:
- 10% Use of guide wires or piano wire
- 5% Proper use of a concrete pump and air compressor for installation of pneumatically applied concrete
- 10% Inspection of forms, wall fittings, drains, light niches, steel placement
- 10% The properties of concrete, including slump and the use of samples
- 15% Proper use of gunite or shotcrete placement on pool walls and floors, including finishing techniques
- 10% Knowledge of dimensional requirements for features such as steps and benches
- 10% The ability to read and understand the manufacturer’s installation instructions for fiberglass and/or vinyl liner pool structures
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Structural Exams in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: