Florida Swimming Pool Structural Contractor's License
Florida pool and spa structural specialty contractors can legally engage in contracts which involve working on:
- Shaping and shooting of gunite, shotcrete, or concrete (pools, spas, hot tubs)
- Fiberglass shells
- Vinyl liners
How to Get a Pool Structural Contractor's License in Florida
- Be 18 years of age.
- Pass all parts of the exam(s) (within four years of the first attempt).
If an applicant has a Bachelor's degree in building construction or a related field, as well as a 3.0 GPA or higher, the applicant is only required to take the business exam.
- Pay the fee for the Application.
- Complete the application form using the Online Services, or the Printable Application.
- Be of good moral character.
- Obtain worker's compensation and general liability coverage.
- Demonstrate financial responsibility by submitting a Credit Report:
- 660 FICO credit score or higher (applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit if below 660 - FICO derived).
- If FICO score is less than 660, the applicant must take a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
- If applicable, provide proof of satisfaction of liens, judgments, and bankruptcy discharge.
- Background check with Electronic Fingerprints.
- Obtain public liability and property damage insurance.
- Obtain workers' compensation or exemption from workers compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.
- Satisfy one of the experience requirements set forth by the CILB:
- A combination of Experience and Education
- One year proved experience that applies to the category for which you are applying and a four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to 3 yrs. experience).
- No less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses, and One year of experience as a foreman.
- Two years of credits from accredited college-level courses, one year experience as a foreman, and One year experience as a worker.
- One year of experience as a foreman, one year of credits from accredited college-level courses, and two years of experience as a worker.
- Four years of experience as a foreman or worker of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- The board expects the applicant to have experience in the following areas of the Pool Structural trade:
- Installation of Fiberglass Shells
- Installation of Vinyl Liners
- Shaping and Shooting Pneumatically Applied Concrete
- Military Service
Note: As part of the application applicant must submit the Fee Waiver and Military Service Verification for licensure
- One year of experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, and three years of military service.
- One year of experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, one year of experience as a foreman, and two years of military service.
- Two years of experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying, and one year of military service.
- A combination of Experience and Education
- Submit the complete Pool Structural application form to:
Department of Business and Professional Regulation
2601 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee, FL 32399-0783
Florida Swimming Pool Structural Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Structural Specialty Contractor Practical Examination
Swimming Pool Structural Specialty Contractor. The examination for swimming pool structural specialty contractors shall evaluate the following areas:
- 10% Use of guide wires or piano wire
- 5% Proper use of a concrete pump and air compressor for installation of pneumatically applied concrete
- 10% Inspection of forms, wall fittings, drains, light niches, steel placement
- 10% The properties of concrete, including slump and the use of samples
- 15% Proper use of gunite or shotcrete placement on pool walls and floors, including finishing techniques
- 10% Knowledge of dimensional requirements for features such as steps and benches
- 10% The ability to read and understand the manufacturer’s installation instructions for fiberglass and/or vinyl liner pool structures
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Structural Exams in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: