Swimming Pool Piping
A “Swimming Pool Piping Specialty Contractor” means a swimming pool specialty contractor whose scope of work is limited to the installation of piping or the installation of circulating, filtering, disinfecting, controlling, or monitoring equipment and devices used in the construction of pools, spas, hot tubs, and decorative or interactive water displays or areas.
What are the Requirements to Become a Swimming Pool Piping Contractor?
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Swimming Pool Piping Contractor in the State of Florida:
Experience / Education
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proved experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Four years experience in the swimming pool piping specialty trade.
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Florida Swimming Pool Piping Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Piping Specialty Contractor Practical Examination
Practical Examination for Swimming Pool Piping Specialty Contractor. The practical examination for swimming pool piping specialty contractors shall evaluate, through the use of a grading sheet which includes spaces for grading and comments by the practical examiner, in the following areas:
- 10% Read, understand and interpret a swimming pool piping plan
- 15% Install pool piping, including the proper handling and solvent welding of PVC
- 10% Understanding of the different applications for different solvent weld cement
- 10% Proper testing and pressurization procedures for pool piping systems
- 25% Proper installation procedures for pool piping, circulation, sanitation, filtration, hydraulics and venting, and related equipment in accordance with manufacturer’s instructions
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Piping Exams in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: