Swimming Pool Finishes
A “Swimming Pool Finishes Specialty Contractor” means a swimming pool specialty contractor whose scope of work is limited to the coating or plastering of the interior surfaces of pools spas, or hot tub shells.
What are the Requirements to Become a Swimming Pool Finishes Contractor?
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Swimming Pool Finishes Contractor in the State of Florida:
Experience / Education
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proved experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Four years' experience in the swimming pool finishes specialty trade.
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Florida Swimming Pool Finishes Contractor Exams
Florida Swimming Pool Finishes Practical Exams
Examination for Swimming Pool Finishes Specialty Contractor. The practical examination for swimming pool finishes specialty contractors shall evaluate the following areas:
- 10% Operation of under-pool dewatering systems
- 10% Proper shell preparation
- 5% Installing and repairing step or underwater bench finishes tile
- 15% Plaster mixtures, including admixtures
- 20% Proper application of a finish to a swimming pool structure
- 10% Demonstrate an understanding of application and filling procedures per manufacturer’s instructions to ensure a clean smooth finish and a watertight condition
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Finishes Exam in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: