Swimming Pool Decking
A “Swimming Pool Decking Specialty Contractor” means a swimming pool specialty contractor whose scope of work is limited to the construction and installation of concrete flatwork, pavers, and bricks, retaining walls, and footings associated with the construction of pools, spas, and hot tub shells.
What are the Requirements to Become a Swimming Pool Decking Contractor?
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Swimming Pool Decking Contractor in the State of Florida:
Experience / Education
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years experience) and one year proved experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years of experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
- Four years experience in the swimming pool decking specialty trade.
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Areas of experience that demonstrate substantial compliance with statutory experience requirements for both Pool and Spa
Florida Swimming Pool Decking Contractor Exams
The examination for licensure for any category of swimming pool specialty contractor as specified in Rule 61G4-15.032, F.A.C., shall consist of a written examination or a practical examination. The written examination shall test the applicant’s ability to perform the scope of work for the category of swimming pool specialty contractor for which the applicant applied.
Florida Swimming Pool Decking Specialty Contractor Practical Examination
The practical examination for swimming pool decking specialty contractors shall evaluate, through the use of a grading sheet which includes spaces for grading and comments by the practical examiner, in the following areas:
- 5% Operation of an under-pool dewatering system
- 5% Layout of the deck, including verification of angles and deck dimensions
- 5% Calculations to accommodate anticipated water runoff (drainage) and installation of a deck drainage system
- 5% Understanding of backfill and compaction procedures for sub-deck materials
- 5% Understanding the properties of concrete and calculation of the amount of concrete required for the job
- 5% Understanding proper elevation and pitch requirements to ensure proper drainage
- 5% Understanding accurate angles and locate pinpoints
- 5% Understanding reinforcement requirements for concrete
- 10% Proper placement and finishing procedures for concrete
- 5% Understanding of thermal expansion and contraction of concrete and methods to accommodate it
- 5% Setting anchors, ladders, and handrails
- 5% Removal and disposition of concrete forms and forming materials
- 5% Pressurized piping procedures and maintenance
Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Written Examination
Requirements for all written Swimming Pool Specialty Contractor Examinations. Each examination must test the following areas:
- 15% Reading, understanding and interpreting scaled pool construction plans and surveys.
- 5% Understanding and complying with job-site safety requirements.
- 5% Handling and properly disposing of hazardous materials.
- 5% Recognizing the tools required to do the job and exhibit the ability to properly use those tools.
Test Providers for Swimming Pool Decking Exams in Florida
For all swimming pool articles you are required to take a practical examination. There is not a testing company specific to these trades. For a list of testing providers please visit Examiners for Swimming Pool Specialty Licenses
If you are interested in servicing a pool or building a pool you must have one of the following license required in Florida: