How to Sign up for the General Contractor's Test in Florida
In order to apply for a General Contractor license, you must first register and pass the trade and business exam. The trade has 2 parts, Project Manager and Contractor Administration.
Instructions on how to register for the General Contractor Exam
- The first step is to go on the Pearson VUE website
- When you get to the page, where it says "start here" type in "ICC Contractor/Trade"
- Click on schedule Exam and log in or create an account if you're a new user
- Agree to policy and fill in personal information
- Youll be able to schedule a date to take your General Contractor Exam
Examination Categories/Parts Information
The Florida State license categories are separated into two divisions. Division 1 Categories include General, Building and Residential Contractors. Division 1 exams have three parts to it, first one is Finance, Contract Administration and Project Management. Tower Specialty Contractors, Demolition Contractors, and Industrial Facility Contractors must pass the same General category examination of three parts, Contract Administration, Project Management and Business and Finance.
Locations to take the exam
Your exam location will be identified on your admission slip. For Business and Finance, General, Building, Residential Contract Administration and Project Management and all Trade Knowledge examinations except Plumbing, you will be able to schedule with Pearson VUE Testing Centers at Statewide locations. If you need information regarding hotels near the examination please contact the Chamber of Commerce in the city where the examinations have been scheduled.
Applications Restrictions for the State Application
These are important restrictions to your application:
- You must pass all parts of the examination (Business and Finance or Trade Knowledge or Contract Administration or Project Management) within four years from the first exam scheduled. You have an unlimited number of attempts within the four year period.
- You must pass all parts of the examination required for licensure within four years
- Your four-year examination period begins with your first scheduled examination date.
- If you have scheduled a review, you may not take an exam within twenty-one (21) days of the review date.
- If you already hold an active contractor license, you may not repeat an examination that you have passed or retake the Business and Finance exam unless you hold a Pool/Spa servicing license
- If you have registered for more than one examination date, and you pass the examination, you will not be refunded any registration fees you have paid for future examinations.
Examinations are also in Spanish, please request the Spanish exam on your application. If you request the exam in Spanish, you will receive a booklet printed in both English and Spanish. The DBPR/BET allows the use of one foreign language word for word translation dictionary during the examination. Dictionaries that contain definitions of words, explanations or handwritten notes are NOT allowed. Electronic translation devices are NOT allowed.
Candidates with documented disabilities may request special accommodations with F.A.C. Chapter 61-11.008. If you require special accommodations, you must indicate this on your application and contact the DBPR/BET to obtain an Application for Disability Accommodation.
Making changes to your registration
Examination Fee Structure
Applicants first must register by submitting an Exam Registration Form to Professional Testing along with the applicable registration and exam administration fees. They will accept the payments via check, money order or credit card. We do not take registrations over the phone.
Applicants Registering for Computer Based Exams:
- $135.00 Registration Fee Payable to Professional Testing, Inc
- $ 80.00 Business and Finance computer-based test (CBT) with Pearson VUE
- $ 80.00 TK computer-based test with Pearson VUE
- $ 40.00 Contract Administration computer-based test with Pearson VUE
- $ 40.00 Project Management computer-based test with Pearson VUE
You will receive instruction from Pearson VUE on how to schedule the exam and pay the CBT administration fee or contact Pearson VUE at 888-204-6230.
General Contractor In-Person Refresher Classes
In order to pass your Exam, you must have all your references which we offer. Our books are always in stock for you. We also offer online classes for General Contractor and we offer in-person classes in the following cities: