Liquefied Petroleum Gas Licenses
As established by the Oregon Administrative Rules and the Oregon Revised Statutes, the Office of the State Fire Marshal of Oregon is responsible for the administration and enforcement of standards, policies, and regulations for liquefied petroleum gas activities to ensure public safety. The Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) is in charge of issuing licenses related to propane and liquefied petroleum gas (LPG) work. Alongside issuing licenses, the OSFM is the agency that manages the examination process for the LPG licenses.
There are two categories of LPG licenses in Oregon: Business and Individual Licenses. Oregon issues a Company License for all businesses that, as a whole, engage in propane or LPG-related activities, and it issues three more licenses for private individuals: Heating, Venting, and Air Conditioning (HVAC) Fitter, Internal Combustion (IC) Fitter, and Master Fitter.
List of Liquefied Petroleum Gas Licenses
- HVAC (Heating, Venting, and Air Conditioning) Fitter
- IC (Internal Combustion) Fitter
- LPG Company License
- Master Fitter
How to Apply for a Liquefied Petroleum Gas License in Oregon?
The following requirements are applicable to all the Oregon LPG Program licenses; however, keep in mind that each trade has specific types of work that can be performed once the aspirant receives their license. Learn more here (under the licenses tab).
Application process for Oregon LPG aspirants:
- Work under a licensed company.
- Choose the type of license of your interest from the ones listed above.
- Complete all the fields of the LPG license online examinations form and send it to the given address, along with the required fee.
- Expect an email (sent to the provided email address) with the examination instructions upon the payment receipt.
Only the applicant's personal email address must be used, and the system won't permit several users to share a single email address.
- Take and pass the examination. You will receive your license (valid for 2 years) after validation of the Office.
List of informative liquefied petroleum gas licenses links and docs
- Oregon State Police (OSP) Landing Page
- Oregon Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM)
- Oregon OSFM Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) Information
- Oregon OSFM LPG Current Licensed Companies List
- Oregon OSFM LPG Current Employees List
- Oregon OSFM LPG Online Examinations License Application
Important contact information for Oregon LPG Program aspirants
Office of the State Fire Marshal (OSFM) website
The OSFM is located in the Oregon State Police Headquarters
Address: 3565 Trelstad Ave SE, Salem, OR 97317
PO Box 4395 Unit 09 Portland, OR 97208-4395
Office hours: Mon. - Fri., 08:00 am - 05:00 pm
Phone address: 503-934-8272
Phone address: 503-934-8274