North Carolina Highway Contractor License
"Highway Contractor" covers all highway construction activity including: grading, paving of all types, installation of exterior artificial athletic surfaces, relocation of public and private utility lines ancillary to the principal project, bridge construction and repair, culvert construction and repair, parking decks, sidewalks, curbs, gutters and storm drainage. It also includes installation and erection of guard rails, fencing, signage and ancillary highway hardware; covers paving and grading of airport and air-field runways, taxiways, and aprons, including the installation of fencing, signage, runway lighting and marking; and work done under the specialty classifications of Boring and Tunneling, Concrete Construction, Marine Construction, Railroad Construction, and Grading and Excavating.
How to Get the NC Highway Contractor’s License?
- Complete the Application for License to Practice General Contracting (Highway) in the State of North Carolina and submit it to the board.
- The Board’s staff will review applications for completeness and compliance with licensing requirements. This process can typically take up to 2 or 3 weeks.
- If corrections or more information is required, the Board’s staff will email you.
- When you meet all requirements you will be mailed an exam eligibility letter (this letter would state that you can take the exam).
- You must schedule and take the exam (required books and related classes are listed below).
- After passing the exam(s), the testing company will notify the board.
- Once the Board gives final approval, the license is granted and assigned a license number.
Highway Contractor Course
Login credentials emailed upon enrollment
Unlimited access (no time limits)
How to find answers in the books
Step-by-step solutions to math problems$425.00$425.00
Highway Contractor Exam
Highway Contractor Trade Exam
- Testing Method: Computer-based; Semi-Open Book
- Testing Company: PSI
- Hours Allotted: 4.25h
- Types of Questions: Multiple Choice
- Number of questions: 90
- Subjects Involved:
- Paving - Asphalt
- Excavation and Grading
- Concrete Paving
- Traffic Control
- Metals Including Concrete Reinforcement
- Erosion and Sedimentation Control
- Railroad Construction
- Marine Construction
- Business and Law
- Sports Fields
Highway Contractor Book Set
The book set includes all required references for the Highway Contractor exam. Please keep in mind that although not all the books are allowed in the exam you will be tested on all the references. Orders placed before 2 PM are shipped the same day via UPS and a tracking number is emailed before 3 PM.
NORTH CAROLINA HIGHWAY - BOOK SET WITHOUT TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMSSales price: $1,195.76
NORTH CAROLINA HIGHWAY - BOOK SET WITH TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMSSales price: $1,295.76
Highway Contractor Trade Books
Books Allowed in Testing
This guide suggests solutions to common field prob...$132.80$132.80
Part 1 focuses on planning and starting your busin...$71.97$71.97
North Carolina Occupational Safety and Health Stan...$31.38$31.38
A complete overview of all aspects of construction...$52.98$52.98
This handbook is designed to help you understand w...$15.76$15.76
Books Not Allowed in Testing
This code is specific to North Carolina and used f...$11.76$11.76
The purpose of this Article is to declare a State ...$11.57$11.57
This handbook is an educational and information d...$16.12$16.12
Pipe & Excavation Contracting is an important refe...$28.06$28.06
Many advances have been made in concrete technolog...$129.26$129.26
This "how-to" manual presents state-of-the-art inf...$49.93$49.93
Laws and Regulations Applicable to General Contrac...$12.15$12.15
Placing Reinforcing Bars covers all aspects of con...$89.35$89.35
Training and Certification of Field Personnel for ...$90.62$90.62
This book is only available as a PDF and its avail...Sales price: $0.00
Division of Coastal Management, NC Department of E...$349.62$349.62