Page 2 of 4
- Applicants are encouraged to watch a brief instructional video at www.msboc.us before the application process to decrease the rate of rejection.
- The Application can be typed or written with clear ink, all signatures must be affixed and notarized where indicated. No online submissions are allowed to due the notarized signatures.
- If applicant is a corporation or LLC, applicant must be registered with the MS Secretary of State’s office and provide proof of good standing. To contact the Mississippi Secretary of State’s office please call (601) 359-1350 or visit www.sos.ms.gov.
- Applicant must furnish a Mississippi sales tax number or a Mississippi use tax number. To obtain a number you may contact the MS Department of Revenue at (601) 923-7000 or visit www.dor.ms.gov. Applicant must also furnish a Mississippi Income Tax I.D. Number or Federal Income Tax I.D. number.
- Applicant must provide a certificate of general liability insurance coverage showing current minimum coverage of Three Hundred Thousand Dollars ($300,000) per occurrence and Six Hundred Thousand Dollars ($600,000) aggregate. The certificate of coverage must indicate MS State Board of Contractors is to be notified in the event of cancellation of coverage by listing MSBOC as certificate holder. The name listed as insured on the certificate of coverage must match exactly the name in which the license is to be issued.
- Applicant must provide a certificate of insurance showing current workers’ compensation coverage if applicant has 5 or more employees.
- Applicant must provide three (3) reference letters. One (1) reference letter must be from the bank; the other two (2) reference letters can be from anyone worked with/for on construction related projects.
- Applicant must show experience in the classification(s) of work requested. Please list at least 3 jobs completed in the requested classification. (For example, if applicant were requesting the classification of Electrical, applicant would list 3 electrical jobs completed.)
- Applicant must provide proof of employment of the qualifying party. (Acceptable forms of proof of employment include check stub, W2 form, or Owner/Officer listed with the Mississippi Secretary of State.)
- Applicant must provide a reviewed or audited financial statement prepared and signed by a certified public accountant completed within the last twelve (12) months. A compilation will not be accepted. (See Appendix C for example.) Applicants for a major classification must 3 demonstrate a net worth of at least Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000). All other applicants must demonstrate a net worth of at least Twenty Thousand Dollars ($20,000)
- The application fee is $400, which includes one classification. Please add $100 for each additional classification requested. Make checks payable to Mississippi State Board of Contractors (MSBOC).
- Written by Z. D.