Illinois (Chicago) Supervising Elevator Mechanics Contractor License
Important Note: Effective September 24, 2018, the requirements for licensing of Supervising Elevator Mechanics have changed. A City of Chicago examination is no longer required.
Applicants for licensure must submit proof that the applicant: (1) either (a) has worked as an elevator mechanic for at least four years or (b) has completed an elevator constructor mechanic apprenticeship program that is recognized by the United States Department of Labor; and (2) is certified as an elevator inspector in accordance with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers’ ASME QEI-1 2013 standard.
- Submit two (2) current identical color photographs approximately 1 1/2 by 1 1/2 inches.
- Only passport photos will be accepted.
- Please put your name on the back of each photograph.
- All applicants must be 21 years of age.
- Provide an original signed letter (on company stationery) from your current or former employer(s) or apprenticeship provider. This letter must verify the dates of employment and establish a minimum of four (4) years work experience as an elevator mechanic or the completion of a US Department of Labor approved elevator constructor mechanic apprenticeship program.
- Mail your application,, payment, and all supplemental documents to:
Remember to keep a copy of your application and supplemental documents.
City of Chicago
P.O. Box 388249
Chicago, Illinois 60638-8249
- Applicable fees. See below. Payment is by check or money order, made payable to the City of Chicago.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis.
Name: Olivia Porras
Phone: (800) 359-1313