I'm a Handyman in Alaska do I need a Construction's License?

As of Jan. 1, 2015, a professional "General Contractor-Handyman" license is required. Suppose someone is doing business under this license. In that case, the project's total must not exceed $10,000, and they must carry public liability and property damage insurance as required by AS 08.18.101. . Any work that requires a specialty license such as structural, plumbing, heating, sheet metal, electrical, or has a value over $10,000 also requires a business license, liability insurance, and a bond of $10,000. If you don't have a license and act as a contractor in Alaska, you're guilty of a class B misdemeanor. If you end up working on a project without a license, you could get sued by both the client and the state. Depending on the license you are obtaining, you may need an additional license. With Contractor Campus, we offer the studying materials to help you pass the exams and the online courses that help you navigate within the books. For more information on a specialty license visit the Alaska Contractor Licenses.

How to Obtain a License in Alaska

Any form you may need to fill in and submit to the state can be found on Alaska’s Official Contractor Licensing site. Each application contains specific information you need to submit along with your application, as well as any licensing fees that need to be included with your submission In addition to your application, you’ll also need:

  • An Alaska Business License.
  • A registered Tax Identification Number.
  • Proof of General Liability Insurance
  • $20,000 for Property Damage
  • $50,000 for Injury or Death to one person
  • $100,000 for Injury or death to more than one person
  • Proof of Workers’ Compensation insurance.
      A Surety Bond:
    • $25,000 - General Contractor
    • $20,000 - General Contractor with Residential Endorsement
    • $10,000 - Specialty or Mechanical Contractor
    • $5,000 - General Contractor Handyman (per project)
    • A nonrefundable application fee for $100 plus a license fee for $250 made out to “State of Alaska.”

Add comment