Page 2 of 3
How to Apply
- Generally, anyone who offers to, holds oneself out as able to, or contracts to perform residential, commercial, or public works construction, alterations, or improvements must hold a contractor license.
- A license is not required if the aggregate contract price for the project, including labor, materials, taxes, and all other items, is not more than $1,000.00 and does not require a building permit. This exemption does not apply to electrical or plumbing work requiring a permit. Furthermore, even if an electrical or plumbing permit is not required by the county on a particular project, the work may still have to be performed by a licensed electrician or plumber.
- You may apply either as a sole proprietor or an entity (corp., LLC, etc.). If applying as an entity, you must also complete the responsible managing employee ("RME") application. An applicant (sole proprietor or RME) must verify 4 years of supervisory experience in the license classification for which the applicant is applying.
- The filing deadline to turn in applications is on or before the first Tuesday of the month prior to the scheduled Contractors License Board ("Board") meeting date, provided it is a complete application.(The Board does not review applications or meet in December.) If your application is approved by the Board, then you (sole proprietor or RME) must sit for the exam within six months. Upon passing the exam, the applicant must submit licensing fees; proof of liability and workers compensation insurance (if you have employees); and a bond, if required by the Board.
- Application fee - $50.00 per application. You may apply for more than one classification per application. A separate application is required for each contracting entity and RME.
- Examination fee - $75.00 per part. Most classifications require the completion of two parts (Part I – Business & Law, and Part II – Trade).
- License fee – Contracting entity and Sole Proprietor - $663.00 if licensed between October 1st of the even-numbered year and September 30th of the odd-numbered year, and $494.00 if licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of the even-numbered year.
- License fee - RME - $438.00 if licensed between October 1st of the even-numbered year and September 30th of the odd-numbered year, and $334.00 if licensed between October 1st of the odd-numbered year and September 30th of the even numbered year.
- Hawaii Does not have reciprocity with any other state
Contact Information for the Board
- Location: King Kalakaua Building, 335 Merchant Street, Rm. 301 Honolulu, Hawaii 96813
- Mailing Address: DCCA-PVL Att: CLB, P.O. Box 3469, Honolulu, HI 96801, (Candace Ito, Executive Officer)
- Phone Number: (808) 586-2700
Testing Center Contact Information
For more information please see the Frequently asked questions.