Florida Gas Line Contractor License
A Florida Gas Line contractor is a contractor whose scope of work is limited to installation, modification, alteration, testing, repair and maintenance of natural gas transmission systems and natural gas distribution systems with all appurtenances within rights-of-way, easements, or terminating at meter.
Below are some of the requirements needed to become a licensed Gas Line Contractor in the State of Florida:
Must be at least 18 years of age.
Must take and pass the state certification examinations (Gas Line and Business & Finance). Please note that the application process cannot be started until the exams are taken and passing scores are obtained.
Experience / Education
A person will qualify for a Certified Gas Line Contractor’s license by meeting one of the following requirements:
- Four-year construction-related degree from an accredited college (equivalent to three years’ experience) and one year proven experience applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year experience as a foreman and not less than three years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- One year experience as a worker, one-year experience as a foreman, and two years of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Two years’ experience as a worker, one year experience as a foreman, and one year of credits from accredited college-level courses.
- Four years’ experience as a worker or foreman of which at least one year must have been as a foreman.
A veteran will qualify for a certified license by meeting on of the following:
- Three years of military service and one year experience as a foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- Two years of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and one year experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
- One year of military service, one year experience as a foreman, and two years experience as a worker or foreman applicable to the category for which you are applying.
Applicants for the Certified Gas Line Contractor License must have experience in in the following trade areas:
- Installation and Modification of Natural Gas Transmission Systems and Natural Gas Distribution Systems.
- Experience can also be gained through involvement in Repair, Maintenance and Testing of Natural Gas Distribution Systems.
Financial / Credit
Applicants will need to provide proof of financial stability and responsibility by submitting personal credit reports. Credit reports must include a FICO derived credit score and indicate that local, state and federal records have been searched. Credit report containing a credit score (FICO derived) on applicant from a nationally recognized credit reporting agency, which includes a public records statement that records have been checked at local, state, and federal levels. If credit score is below 660 (FICO derived) applicant must submit a bond or irrevocable letter of credit. Note that Fifty percent (50%) of the bond or letter of credit requirement may be met by completion of a 14-hour financial responsibility course.
An applicant must have a background check as part of the licensing process.
Applicants are required to attest that they have obtained public liability and property damage insurance in the amounts determined by Board rule. Applicants are also required to obtain workers compensation insurance or obtain an exemption from worker’s compensation insurance within 30 days of issuance of their license.To download the different application forms related to the Gas Line Contractor’s License, you may visit the Florida Construction Industry Licensing Board’s site.
Florida Gas Line Contractor Exams
Florida Gas Line Contractors must pass two exams prior to obtaining their license. Do not sign up to take your exams until you obtain your books and begin studying for them!
Gas Line Exam
The Florida Gas Line Contracting Test covers the following subjects: Testing and Code Compliance, Taps and Connections, Pigging and Purging, Maintenance, Welding and Fusion, Safety, Excavation, Equipment, Location and Investigation.
Business and Finance Exam
This is a separate test which lasts 6.5 hours, and contains 120 questions. Some of the subjects included in this test are: Establishing the Contracting Business, Managing Administrative Duties, Managing Trade Operations, Conducting Accounting Functions, Managing Human Resources, and complying with Government Regulations.
Florida Gas Line Contractor Classes
You can take Gas Line Contractor Classes in Tampa, Fort Myers, Orlando, Miami, or Online. You can sign up for your classes at any time and receive access to lecture videos, practice questions, tabbing and highlighting instructions, as well as to step-by-step explanations on how to solve typical Gas Line Contractor Exam Problems. The Gas Line Contractor Classes prepare you for the trade and business exams. Florida Gas Line Contractor Testing Schedule. You must pass all exams before applying for the Gas Line Contractor’s License in Florida. To sign up for the Florida Gas Line Contractor classes, simply click on the "enroll" button below and checkout; this will allow you to receive immediate access to the Florida Gas Line Contractor Classes online, and will also enable you to attend in-person Exam Prep classes. All students have access to both online and in-person classes for an unlimited amount of time (until passing all the Florida Gas Line Contractor exams needed to get the Gas Line license!). The in-person classes are not mandatory and can be taken at the student's discretion. For a list of upcoming classes for the Florida Gas Line Contractor Exams click on the link within the course description below.
Login credentials emailed upon enrollment
Unlimited access (no time limits)
Step-by-step solutions to math problems
Florida Gas Line Contractor Books
The set of books includes all required references for both the Gas Line and Business and Finance exams. Orders placed before 2 PM are shipped the same day via UPS and a tracking number is emailed before 3 PM.
FLORIDA GAS LINE - BOOK SET WITHOUT TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMS
FLORIDA GAS LINE - BOOK SET WITH TABS INCLUDES ALL BOOKS FOR TRADE AND BUSINESS EXAMS
List of Books for the Gas Line Contractor Trade Exams
Starting July 1st, 2021 the 2020 code books will be used for contractor Licensing. Until then we will still be using the 2017 edition.
List of Books for the Business and Finance Exam