Connecticut Home Improvement Contractor License

The Home Improvement Contractor License allows you to do the following work:

  • Any permanent change to residential property, including:
    • Siding
    • Patios
    • Roofs
    • Doors
    • Fences
    • Porches
    • Garages
    • Painting
    • Flooring
    • Windows
    • Insulation
    • Driveways
    • Landscaping
    • Waterproofing
    • Swimming pools
    • Alarm systems not requiring electrical work

The Home Improvement Contractor License DOES NOT include the following work:

  • Sub-contracting
  • Done on commercial property
  • Tree and shrub cutting and grinding
  • Where the contract is less than $200
  • Done by the homeowner on their property
  • Covered under the scope of a trade license
  • Building new homes or a portion of new homes
  • Property maintenance such as snowplowing, mowing, pruning, or cleaning services

How to Get the Home Improvement Contractor’s License in Connecticut?

  1. Visit the CT Department of Consumer Protection (DCP) website to read the eligibility criteria, prerequisites, and documentation requirements for obtaining a Home Improvement Contractor License. Follow the process held in the Home Improvement Contractor application path
  2. Meet the necessary requirements requested by the DCP
    • Obtain general liability insurance of no less than $20,000 to be eligible for a Home Improvement Contractor registration
  3. Complete the Application in the State of Connecticut's eLicense Website, gather all the necessary documentation:
    • All applications MUST be submitted online
    • Provide the name of their insurance provider and policy number in their application
    • For new applications:
      • Prior to applying, determine whether register as an individual (sole proprietorship) or as a legal entity (LLC, corporation)
      • To contract with consumers as an LLC, register as an LLC. Holding a Home Improvement contractor registration as an individual DOES NOT cover the LLC
      • Legal entities (both in-state and out-of-state) must register their business with the CT Secretary of State’s Office prior to applying
      • To build new homes, apply for a New Home Construction Contractor registration first. Then designate home improvement work as part of that registration process
  4. Await the official Home Improvement Contractor License issued by the Department of Consumer Protection