Do you need a license to Install Generators in Florida?
Well, typically you do need a license to install an automatic system generator. Which a Master Electrician would be the necessary license for this type of job. A Portable Generator would not need a license to install since items can be plugged directly into the generator. This article will further explain the types of Generators and switches you would need to install.
2 Types of Generators
- Does not require a license to install
- Items can be plugged directly into the generator
- Intended to power a few appliances (refrigerator, fan, etc.)
Full automatic Generator:
- Permanently installed
- Automatically turns on when the power goes out
- Detects a power outage immediately and waits a few seconds for the power to return.
- Needs permit to install
Transfer Switches for Automatic Generators:
Automates the entire process by the use of either a switch in the manual switch or the process can occur instantly with an automatic switch.
- An Manual transfer switch spots out circuits you would like power in the event of an outage. This happens by using a “make or break” system. When in operation you are able to swap to your grid power for generator power.
- An Automatic transfer switch works the same to some extent only the process is entirely automated. The automatic switch will immediately change from grid to generator, without any interruption. This system is consistently monitoring your grid power supply. This type of switch is faster and more efficient than a manual system.