Tuesday, December 5, 2023

Contractor Campus

Books & Classes for your Contractor's License

Do you need a Contractor License in Utah?

The Utah Department of Commerce Division of Occupational and Professional Licensing (DOPL) is the entity in charge of supplying all contractor licenses in Utah. All individuals or businesses pursuing construction work in Utah must obtain a Utah Contractor License. Utah does not have reciprocity agreements with any State; however, the DOPL offers licensure by endorsement. As part of the licensing requirements, applicants must take and pass a contractor trade exam and the Business and Law examination, which can now be in English and Spanish. ProV© is the company that administers the tests for Utah contractors.

DOPL has a list of all the work that requires licensure from the DOPL. In regards to construction, these are the licenses issued by the DOPL (for more information on the scope of work, click on each license):

Even though the licensing requirements vary depending on each license, the following is the general application process for a contractor license in Utah:

  1. Take and pass the trade and business exam with ProV©
  2. Complete a 25-hour pre-license course from either Utah Home Builders (UHB) or Associated General Contractors of Utah (AGC)
  3. Obtain general liability insurance with the DOPL listed as the certificate holder
  4. Get a surety bond depending on the license classification
  5. Register the business with the Utah Division of Corporations and Commercial Code if applying as a corporation, LLC, LLP, or partnership
  6. Acquire an Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the Internal Revenue Service
  7. Have a minimum of two years of full-time related experience, one year of which shall be in a supervisory or managerial position as a general contractor

Add comment