Page 1 of 2
City of Orchid Permits
To view license requirements, definition, exams, books, and classes, please visit Orchid County. You want to get All information on Permits per Florida Building Code Section 105.1, any owner or authorized agent, who intends to construct, enlarge, alter, repair, move, demolish, or change the occupancy of a building or structure, or to erect, install, enlarge, alter, repair, remove, convert or replace any required impact-resistant coverings, electrical, gas, mechanical or plumbing system, the installation of which is regulated by this code, or to cause any such work to be done, shall first make an application to the Building Official and obtain the required permit.
A completed Building Permit Application form Copy of recorded Notice of Commencement; if the cost of the project is $2,500 or more (Please note that the threshold is $7,500 for HVAC) Copy of contract pages showing the detailed scope of work and value of work Drawings/plans; two copies for residential projects, three copies for commercial and multi-family projects Notarized subcontractor applications, if applicable. Note: must be received with the main permit application for processing Permit fee per fee schedule payable to the Town of Orchid (cash, check, or money order)
Additional Submittals Specific to type of Work:
Please note that some submittals must be required at the time the building permit application is made, while other items may be required at a different stage of the project. The latter type is identified specifically.
- Schematic, drawing or photo showing the area of repair clearly circled
- Product Approvals (two copies)
- Nailing and Sheathing Affidavit (provided by Building Clerk with approved permit) and required photographic evidence as described on affidavit:
- The photos must be submitted prior to the dry-in and flashing inspection. This in-person inspection is a requirement! Do not pass beyond the point of dry-in and flashing without obtaining an approved inspection by the Building Official.
- The completed affidavit must be on file with the Building Department prior to scheduling the final inspection.
- Engineering Detail for Underground Tank
- For above ground tanks, submit a photo showing the elevation of the house.
- Required Information Form to Supplement Gas Permit Application (see documents below)
- Survey with Town setbacks depicting proposed site placement with defined distances to property line and home. Required for both new and replacement tanks!
- If project is for additional lines from an existing tank, submit a survey with Town setbacks depicting location of existing tank and the proposed location of additional lines with defined distances to property line and home.
- Prior to scheduling the final inspection, you must submit a signed letter on company letterhead affirming the tank's installation was done in accordance with the appropriate gas table(s) (please identify), approved plans, engineered tie-down system and corrosion protection system. The letter must include the permit number and project address.
Electrical Service Change:
- Electric Service Change Affidavit (provided by Building Clerk with approved permit) must be on file with the Building Department prior to scheduling your appointment with Florida Power and Light.
New Pads/Slabs for Exterior Equipment:
- For new pads/slabs:
- Submit a survey with Town setbacks depicting proposed site placement with dimensions and defined distances to property line and home.
- An elevation certificate must be submitted prior to scheduling the final inspection.
- Location information
- A.H.R.I (two copies)
Pools, Spas and Hot Tubs:
Renovation and Demolition:
Commercial and Multifamily:
- Plans must be approved by Indian River County Fire Safety prior to submittal to Orchid.
Doors, Windows, Garage Doors, Shutters:
- Product Approvals or Notice of Acceptance (two copies including page(s) showing expiration date).
- If multiple products are listed, please identify with a checkmark the product(s) that will be installed.
- Multi-Family and Commercial buildings require site-specific engineering, by design professional, for building opening wind design pressures.
- For installation of windows and/or doors in an existing building, you must submit a basic floor plan or window schedule on which every opening is identified by a number which will correspond to the numbers on the photographs that will be submitted (see the next bullet point).
- For installation of windows and/or doors in an existing building, prior to scheduling the final inspection, you must submit a Window/Door Buck Affidavit (provided by Building Clerk with approved permit) with necessary photographs as described on the affidavit.
Docks and Piers:
- Permit from the Florida Department of Environmental Protection if permit is required by said agency
Notice:In addition to the requirements of a building permit issued by the Town of Orchid, there may be additional restrictions applicable to a project property that may be found in the public records of Indian River County, and there may be additional permits required from other governmental entities such as water management districts, state agencies, or federal agencies.
Building Permit Application and Sub-Contractor Application Forms
A building contractor must subcontract all electrical, mechanical, plumbing, and roofing work unless in possession of a state certificate or registration in the respective trade category. Sub-contractor Applications must be submitted with the main building permit application from a general contractor. If there is any change regarding a subcontractor's participation under the main permit, that sub-contractor must immediately and personally advise the Orchid Building Department.
- Building Permit Application form
In addition to the requirements of this permit, there may be additional restrictions applicable to this property that may be found in the public records of this county, and there may be additional permits required from other governmental entities such as water management districts, state agencies, or federal agencies.
- Sub-Contractor ApplicationThis application is for sub-contractors only and must be submitted with the main building permit application from a general contractor
- Permit Revision Application