Article Index

Contractor FAQ

Below are Frequently asked questions created by the Arizona Registrar of Contractors, they can also be found here.

  • Will the Arizona Registrar of Contractors acknowledge receipt of my application?

    Yes. You will receive a receipt with a pending number on it. This number is used to keep track of your application. If you have questions on the status of your application, you may use the pending number when calling in so that your application can be located more quickly.

  • How will I know if my application is approved?

    If the application is approved, a notice is mailed to you, and you will receive a call from a Licensing Representative.

  • What happens if my application is not approved?

    If your application can not be approved, you will be notified.

  • Can I get a refund of the fees?

    The Agency returns the license fee when a license is not issued. Such instances include, when an application is returned because the applicant failed to respond to a deficiency letter by providing requested information or when the applicant makes a request to withdraw their license application. The application fee is retained, however.

    The Agency returns the application fee when the Agency exceeds the statutorily allowed timeframe to review and act upon a license by issuing or denying the license application. Note: This statutory timeframe does not include time the Agency is waiting on the applicant to respond to deficiencies. The license fee is retained, however.

    The only time the Agency would refund the application fee and license fee would be on a denied license that took longer than 60 days to review and act upon the application.

  • Is a bankruptcy a reason to deny an application for a contractor's license?

    A bankruptcy is not grounds to deny an application for a contractor’s license.

  • If the ownership of a business changes, is the contractor's license considered to be part of the business?

    No, a license is non-transferable, with the possible exception of a corporation or limited liability company. If stock is sold and the file number assigned by the Arizona Corporation Commission remains the same, the same license can be used if the license is active and in good standing.

  • How do I apply for a Federal Employer ID Number / Tax ID Number?

    Federal Employer ID Numbers (EIN) / Tax ID Numbers (TIN) can be obtained through the website at the following address. Read their directions carefully and fill out the online application to immediately receive your EIN.

  • Can I take the Arizona Contractor Trade exam online?

    Arizona Contractor Trade exams can be taken online as of Oct 1st, 2021. If you prefer to test at a testing center, you still can!

  • Can I take the RSE exam at a testing center?

    The Status and Rules Exam (RSE) can only be taken online as a computer-based. It cannot be taken at a testing center.

  • Who can I contact if I have questions about scheduling my Arizona Exam?>

    PSI Services©, the testing vendor for the Arizona Registrar of Contractors (AZ ROC) exams, has set up a dedicated phone number just for the AZ ROC exam candidates. If you need to contact PSI about your exam, please call 855-744-0310.