Apprentice Electrician Contractor's License
Any person who, for the purpose of learning the trade of journeyman electrician, engages in the installation of electric wiring or equipment while under the constant on-the-job supervision of a qualified journeyman electrician.
- *YOU MUST PROVIDE A COPY OF LEGAL IDENTIFICATION (Driver’s license, Passport, Military ID
An applicant who is or has been previously licensed as a journeyman or master electrician in any recognized jurisdiction shall not be issued electrical apprentice registration. The applicant may apply for the Electrical Journeyman license or Provisional Journeyman license.
- To qualify for registration as an Electrical Apprentice, an applicant must:
- Be at least 16 years of age.
- Submit a completed notarized application (included).
- Pay the $15 (non-refundable) license registration fee.
- To advance to the next level of the apprenticeship the applicant shall show proof of the following:
- Apprentice: This is a first-time registration or a registration renewal of an individual who does not have the education and hours necessary to advance to Apprentice level 1. This person cannot have previously held a journeyman or master electrician license from a recognized jurisdiction.
- Apprentice level 1: Is a registered apprentice who has submitted proof of completion of 2000 hours of verified work experience and completion of 1 year of an approved school.
- Apprentice level 2: Is a registered apprentice who has submitted proof of completion of 4000 hours of verified work experience and completion of 2 years of an approved school.
- Apprentice level 3: Is a registered apprentice who has submitted proof of completion of 6000 hours of verified work experience and completion of 3 years of an approved school.
- Apprentice level 4: Is a registered apprentice who has submitted proof of completion of 8000 hours of verified work experience and completion of 4 years of an approved school. Apprentice level 4 are qualified to test for the Idaho Journeyman examination.
Any apprentice who can show proof of 16,000 hours of verified work experience is qualified to test for the Idaho Electrical Journeyman exam.
Please Note: Registration as an Electrical Apprentice is issued for a period of one (1) year. Hours will be credited only so long as the apprentice is actively registered with the Division of Building Safety. All hours shall be obtained while working under the constant on the job supervision of a journeyman electrician. All hours shall be obtained while working for a licensed Electrical Contractor, Facility Account or other entity legally authorized to make electrical installations.
Idaho Electrical Board and Idaho CTEC Approved Electrical Apprenticeship Schools
- College of Southern Idaho
- (800) 680-0274
- College of Western Idaho
- (208) 562-2700
- College of Eastern Idaho
- (208) 535-5345
- Idaho State University
- (208) 282-4636
- IEC Idaho
- (208) 608-4662
- Lewis Clark State College
- (208) 792-2220
- North Idaho College
- (208) 769-7735
- Southwest Idaho Electrical JATC
- (208) 384-0538
- Eastern Idaho Electrical JATC
- (208) 232-4300
- Treasure Valley Community College
- Two locations (208) 455-6820 Caldwell, ID (541) 881-8822 Ontario, OR